Fly Tying
Beadheads#1

angora vs. Walmart

Alot of guys like to use angora for SS, I tied some using micro egg yarn and did pretty good with those flies last year. Matter of fact i just got back from the fly shop about a hour ago with 6 different colors of micro yarn for tying some sucker spawn for a upcoming trip. I think the angora gives it a bit more "webby" look to it but i havent noticed a difference with the fish yet myself.

SD

the sucker spawns i have been tying with white yarn from wal mart have been doing ok,

ok as in i hooked into a couple steelheads with them. i havent had much luck this fall anyhow.

The stuff i had was 4 ply, and i took one strand out for 12-14 and use two strands for smaller than that, id say stick to 12 and 14.

colors that i hear lots about... white, light pink, pink and blue.

wal mart yarn is about 1.89 for a whole big thing of it, the angora yarn runs more for a lot smaller amount.

Tying a few up for the trip next weekend myself. I use Egg Yarn and some flash.

Still have to pickup my 2005 fishing license before I forget huh.gif

I like angora better. Has the fuzzy breathable quality. Supposedley it gets stuck in the fishes teeth too. Its usually 1.99 or cheaper for the smaller packages. I have to think there is enough material to tie several dozen (maybe 5??) flies per package. For me thats cheap enough. Although maybe I get so many flies out of a package cause I like to tie them sparse. If you go with angora make sure you seperate the yarn (untwist into 3 smaller diameter pieces) before tying size 12 and smaller.

Tony

I prefer Angora for my sucker spawns as well.

I have a connection for a yard of angora if any one is interested.

Only craft shop I know that seems to carry it by the yard.

They carry Pale Yellow, white and Pink. Three staple colors. White Angora dyes very easy with Wylers juice drink mix.

wink.gif You know when it comes to materials it don't all have to be Orvis---it's quite amazing where I picked up Angora yarn in small end lot rolls---a garage sale for a sewing store going out of business----it must have filled a 4 gallon bucket stuffed with angora in all colors for $1.00. Guess whose club tyed a lot of angora flies last year at the annual fly-tying classes. dunno.gif

Angora does a very nice job, but anything will work pretty well.

I've been using some of Gary LaFontaine's antron sparkle yarn recently and wow do they look good when in the water. Translucent, just slightly glittery, good stuff......

ohmy.gif For my ss i now use reg yarn that I got from a craft store. 300 yards for 3 bucks. Hey math wizards.... I use one piece of thread about 4 inches long, with one strand removed. Than use that piece on the next. How many sucker spawn can I get on 1 ball of yarn? I still use the glow bug micro yarn for some colors but for the most part I use the cheap stuff. Sorry but it isnt that hard to fool a steelie. I catch them.

Chalk up another vore for Angora. I like for the same reasons as the others. Craft store are definitely the way to go, took some looking but I finally found a place about 30 minutes away that carries white. Just gotta get to dying now.