Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ruffells311

Marabou Leech patterns

For more control and to prevent it flying around, wet the marabou by licking your fingers or using water in a small fine-mist spray bottle.

You can always buy very small jigs, for instance I purchase some that weighed 1/100th of an ounce on a #12 hook. They are great fly jigs.....no need for a head, and you can paint the head any color you want using model acrylic paint...and then a laquer sealer....or use inexpensive nail polish. I took a clear nal polish and added some fine mylar glitter to it, and it makes the heads flash all different colors as the light levels under water change, it is a pretty cool effect.

a pattern called the Poodle is a FANTASTIC life-like leech pattern when wet - just last friday on a freezing cold day, although only landed one rainbow (3 1/4 lb) did lose 3 others.

see the pattern here: http://www.flydressers-guild-herts-branch.co.uk/fly_tying_patterns/fly_tying_pattern_poodle.html

Tail: Black Marabou

Body: Chenille and Marabou - depending on length of hook shank, wind one or two turns of black chenille, then tie in a tuft of marabou, followed by one turn of chenille then another tuft of marabou - repeat this until you reach the eye. The marabou needs to form a crest. Don't cut the marabou, pinch it until the correct shape is reached.

a pattern called the Poodle is a FANTASTIC life-like leech pattern when wet - just last friday on a freezing cold day, although only landed one rainbow (3 1/4 lb) did lose 3 others.

I agree, I've caught a bunch of big 'gills on that leech. Fish it on the dead drift or under a thingamabobber.