Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

shooting heads for largemouth bass?

ive been wanting to find a fly line that i can count down to certain depths faster than the line im using now. intermediate takes way to long to count down and i dont like the sink tips cause the line behind the sinking portion doesnt hardly sink at all. i also want to be able to keep the fly in that zone while i strip it so i dont want something that will sink so fast that i cant keep up. now i know NOTHING about shooting heads but reading up on them kiinda seems like what im looking for. but they also seem very complicated. so if anyone can help me with what i should get. that would be great. i use 8 wts one redington predator 7 foot 10 inches and i also have a white river fly shops 9 foot. i need to know line to use for the running line and what to get for the shooting head.

thanks,

sniksoh

If you are wanting your fly to track along the same depth for the best part of the retrieve, I would say you would be better looking at the lines for 'washing line' fishing. Or uniform sink lines. The belly of these lines sinks not just the tip so there is a greater horizontal portion of line in the water. Primarily used for drifting buzzers as once you start retrieving, near the rod the line will always get vertical, unless you fish with the rod tip submerged.

Or you could go with a double taper line. The shooting heads IMO won't give you a uniform sink as they still remain front heavy, hence the shooting bit. You could go with a SH and a slow sinkm running line. Even just a cheap sinking line with the head cut off will sork for the running line. SH aren't all that difficult to get the hang of. You just need to power the rod tip like you are flicking a heavy blob of mud off. Like a heavy handed roll cast. You are letting the line shoot and carry the running line that is coiled on the floor rather than cast in the traditional sense.

you say you are only fishing 20ft of water max. I would reckon a sinking fly and a 15ft sinktip line would be all you would needed? Have you tried fishing a slower sink and draw style?

you say you are only fishing 20ft of water max. I would reckon a sinking fly and a 15ft sinktip line would be all you would needed? Have you tried fishing a slower sink and draw style?

Sorry that last bits grandmother and eggs.

maybe look into kelly galloups streamer line

it has a sinking head attached to an intermediate running line

there are several styles of these attached heads

i use a rio dc 300 most of the time

my 2nd is a rio versi tip that i over load with spey tips to help shoot further & turn over larger flies