Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
P.G. Beckett

A Space Coast Fly Tyer

Been fly tying almost 50 yrs. Got interested at the age of nine by watching 3 guys in wheel chairs who were tying flies at the Canadian Sportsman Show in Toronto Canada, back in the mid sixties. The late Paul Kokuen (some of his flies are found in Bates' streamer tying book) helped me greatly my earlier years when I moved to Worcester Mass. in 1968. Moved to the east coast of Florida in 1972. Started slowly developing some of my own patterns to catch fish, seagulls and backends (ouch!) For about the past 15 yrs., I have been developing flies that contain chamois. Through my experience, there is not a tuffer material that holds up to everyday use in flies weither used in a complete tie or an enhanser to make feathers or natural hair to last longer. In the middle of writing a book that will contain many ideas and details that will help even the most seasoned professional. So to most of you bare with me when I post a pattern. In the mean time I will try to make and post a few vidios that will give you the basics to my style of tying. So many of your flies are magnicent- KEEP TYING and get a child or one of those less fortunate started: After all it was some of those great people who got me started. P.S. in 50 yrs. of tying I still don't know how to use a whip finsher or ever used a hair stacker. Phil

Welcome sir,I am looking forward to learning a thing or two from you and enjoying your patterns...I was raised on the Gulf coast of Florida, lived from Naples to Pennsacola and loved it....now I live in Canada.... :lol: Can you say "culture shock"?

Murray

Welcome aboard Phil. Whereabouts on the Space Coast do you fish? I fish the Sebastian area fairly often, some great fishing all along that part of Florida

Welcome aboard Phil. Whereabouts on the Space Coast do you fish? I fish the Sebastian area fairly often, some great fishing all along that part of Florida

Pineda Causeway down to the north bridge in Ft. Pierce. Have you ever tried wading that mile strech of water on the Indian River just south of Sebastian Inlet? At times it is just loaded with fish (especially the last couple of hours befor dark.)

Pineda Causeway down to the north bridge in Ft. Pierce. Have you ever tried wading that mile strech of water on the Indian River just south of Sebastian Inlet? At times it is just loaded with fish (especially the last couple of hours befor dark.)

The part where the river comes right up to A1A? Yea I have fished there quite a bit, it's a great place to fish and easy to access. A lot of different species can pas through there. I got a small mutton snapper there about a year ago which I never would have expected. The docks on the south end of that stretch can be good too. There's also some good wading down in Ft Pierce near Harbor Branch, tons of trout in that area.

Hello

I am a new member and am looking for someone in Florida that would be willing to

tie 500 hooks for me. If interested, please contact me at (352) 215-2925.

Thanks