Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Batman

tying with bifocals??

Hi,,everyone,,,not new here but been away awhile,,,have taken about a 3 year hiatus from tying,,personal reasons n such,,but trying to get back going again,,,in the last few years i have had to get bifocal lenses. has anyone had difficulty tying after they hav gotten the bifocals? i used to be able to tie for hours but now the old eyes bother me in half the time. I was curious if anyone else had issues? thanks B

I'm short sighted and at the point now where some flies are easier without the specs and just move closer to vice. My optician has said I will reach a point that I will need a seperate pair for the real upclose stuff like the Vice. He thought a seperate pair were much better than bi or vari focals. Of course he makes more cash that way but something to think about.

I wear trifocals now - The reason I switched from bifocals to trifocals was that there was a mid-range zone (about arms' length) that wasn't as clear as it could be. I talked to the doc about it and he switched me to trifocals and that was the end of the problem. I also have a separate set of "computer glasses" that work very well for tying, but I don't use them much. I'd definitely talk to the eye doctor about it. Sounds like you're having similar issues.

I have been wearing bifocals for about 25 years now, ever since I had to have a river guide come down and tie on a fly for me. I thought my nymphs were just getting fuzzier, which is fine by me. I got an Optivisor too, but I only need it for smaller than 22. The extra magnification is only useful as you focus on the fly, its no good for anything longer range. Tried Trifocals but I went back to the bifocals.

I don't even remember if there was an adjustment process or not. I only know that its no problem now. That's good, I can still remember yesterday, but not 25 years ago.

That's good, I can still remember yesterday, but not 25 years ago.

:lol: :lol: thats one way to live without regrets.

That's good, I can still remember yesterday, but not 25 years ago.

You're OK - when the opposite starts to happen, that's when it's time to start worrying. I can remember when somebody stuck it to me 30 years ago, but I have no idea what I did five minutes ago. ("there must be some reason why I'm standing in the middle of the kitchen") :blink:

("there must be some reason why I'm standing in the middle of the kitchen") :blink:

Check the oven, you'll find the milk.

I passed the big 50 milestone last year and my eyes have been going downhill for several years. I started using bifocals to tie about 3 years ago, then spouse bought me a giraffe light and magnifier. That worked great for a couple of years, but recently I have found it necessary to use my bifocals with the giraffe. No eye strain but only because my back only handles a couple of hours at a time! Pain in the arse getting old.

I've worn glasses most of my life, and got bifocals about 3 years ago. Mine are integrated into the lens, no obvious line. Took some getting used to. However, like Piker, I'm near sighted (short sighted? I don't believe I would have said that! :lol:) and have found it's easier to tie without my glasses, which I did anyway before the bifocals. :D

I have to use magnifiers to tie period, and it seems like I can't seem to get the right ones, each one of the strengths has a fuzzy zone, and I can't see to tie on anything smaller than an 18 even with the magnifiers. I've never really worn glasses for anything other than reading and I think it's time I made a trip to doc to find out just what I need because it is getting increasingly more and more frustrating to tie flies on and in the vice. I hate getting older, it seems like more and more of me isn't working right.

Blane

I wear bifocals, but use reading glasses to tie. Have had no problem with eye strain using the reading glasses. I have 2 pair, one 2.5X and one 4.0X. Tried using the circular light with the magnifying glass in the center, but it messed up my depth-of-field terribly.

I never go in the kitchen. (at the wife's request). But sometimes I'll find myself in the back yard. Starting to feel like that old geezer in "On Golden Pond". :unsure:

I wear Varilux lenses which do not have lines like regular bifocals. Depending on whether you are looking up or down the

correction is slightly different with about seven gradations from top to bottom. They cost more. But they have worked well

for me for many years now.

One of the nicest things about these lenses is that there are no lines.