Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
syow25

Orvis clearwater reel

I have been looking at the orvis clearwater reel. Is it worth 79 bucks for my 1st salt reel? at that price I could get two for different lines?

Any thoughts?

How about 1 reel and 2 spools? The Clearwater is a well made reel that will give you years of service.

Depends on what you're going after. If you're just dorking around with pompano and small bluefish, you'd probably be OK for a while, but I've seen false albacore fry cheap reels in a matter of seconds. If there's one part of a saltwater rig you don't want to skimp on, it's your reel. Sooner or later, you're going to be overmatched. I use Orvis reels, and I love them, but if it were me, I'd definitely look to move up a notch or two from a Clearwater. There's no getting around the fact that it's a cheap reel, and cheap reels don't hold up in salt water.

I've had one for over 12 years. I use it mostly for bass, but I have a second spool loaded for salmon/fat browns/steelhead. For those, it's worked fine. I fished it once, just once, in the salt, for 15 minutes, then took it back to the motel and gave it a shower.