Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Tying hight

This may sound like a weird question but how high do you like to tye you flys from. Are you lower then the fly, eye to eye with the fly or higher. i right know am sitting on a stool and i am higher then the fly so always looking down. Im not sure if this is bad or if it matters. this may me a different question but i am just interested.

Thanks

I generally sit higher than the fly. It takes stress off my shoulders that comes with holding your arms up above your lap. Ak best recommends this is his production fly tying book. I could not tie for very long if i sat lower than my vise.

tie from whatever position is most comfortable for you. everybody is different and has a different position that is most comfortable for them.

Looking down on the fly is the easiest angle for me to comfortably turn and inspect my work as I tie. Also, I don't think looking up at a light source in the background is a good idea.

If you want to work out a reasonably stress free position for your vice, then sit in the chair you will use and place your fist under your chin. Where your elbow comes to is where you want your vice head. That means you can tie with your arms relaxed. Of course that may mean sight problems for some, as the vice is so far away from your eyes. That makes reading glasses useless. You need the same prescription as your readers with the focus set at your tying distance. Your optician can do this easily, it only involves moving the optical centre before the lenses are ground.

Cheers,

C.

My eyesight is a bit poor for close-up work, so I use a clip-on magnifying lens attached to my glasses.

Because I have to move my head towards the vice to focus, I work fairly close to the vice with my head just above slightly looking down.

It can cause neck-ache occasionally but until bionic eyes are invented there isn't much I can do about it... ;)

Darrell

I change it up every few flies. I'll actually set on my knees in the floor to be eye level for a fly or two. Then back to my seat, above the fly. Then back to the floor. I find it to be hepful doing it this way, so you don't get stiff.

I recently changed my tying position due to new table old chair and have found my flies favoured the near side of the shank when I actually thought I was tying on top. Sitting higher than my vice has helped with this.

tie from whatever position is most comfortable for you. everybody is different and has a different position that is most comfortable for them.

ditto!

a good chair and lots of lighting also helps

I have an extension on my vise. It sets down and off the table at waist high. I used to tie for a lodge up North and my shoulders got sore. I saw Chris Helms at a show last year, his vise was waist high. It seamed to look like the best height. My shoulder problems are all gone. Thank you Chris.... :)