Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Tying with pheasant

Every fall my uncle gives me 1 to 2 pheasants. The problem is i have no clue what to tye with all this bird. I only know what to use with the tail but the rest i dont know. I really want to tye with all the other feathers but i just dont know any patterns that use all the other feathers. I need some patters more birds are coming this fall and i will have to many to keep. i dont want to have to throw any out but i might just have to if i get to many and cant use them up. :( Pleas give me some ideas or patters to make with this bird.

Thanks

Check this site: http://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

http://www.terryhellekson.com/ringneck_pheasant.htm

You can use the lovely mottled fibres of various feathers for tails, claws, wing cases. Lots and lots of uses. If you get really stuck my postbox just happens to be pheasant size!

Depending on the species you wish to chase, here are some flies that use pheasant.

This one is tied with Golden Pheasant, but the style can be tied with other Pheasant feathers.

Chile Pepper

This one is a popular New Zealand trout fly.

Mrs. Simpson

The Carey Special is another that uses Pheasant. There are numerous variations too.

Uses For Pheasant.

More Tying Ideas!

There are ways, and lots of them to use every feather on a pheasant. If a feather is the right color to fit a pattern, there us usally some way to make it work. From the small white neck feathers all the way to the tail, every thing can be used.

There are some good links showing many uses already, but one thing you can do is use your imagination. Come up with your own ways to use them.

A lot of the longer body plumage has fibers long enough to wrap (like the tail fibers) as "herl" bodies. The tips of the same feathers can be used for tails and legs. In the AP nymph, substitute Pheasant fibers for the other feathers or hair. John Betts has an emerger pattern that uses long hackle fibers for the tail, wing case and legs. This pattern is very similar to the AP nymph. Just use Pheasant fibers body, shoulder, tail instead.

The longer rumph plumage is used in the Carey Special.

Most of the brown breast and flank feathers can be used as hackle in place of brown hen. They are usually too big for a lot of hooks, but just strip off a dozen or so fibers and tie them in facing over the eye. Wrap the body, and fold the hackle (pheasant) back with the head wraps.

Pheasants have a lot of under feathers (much like marabou,) and aftershafts (much like ostrich herl,) I use the under feathers in place of marabou. And the after shafts I wrap as hackle on a cadis pupa pattern called a Phylo Caddis. Use a turn or two on any soft hackle in place of the partridge.

And after all that, send me your extra birds, and I will be happy to use them up.

Every fall my uncle gives me 1 to 2 pheasants. The problem is i have no clue what to tye with all this bird. I only know what to use with the tail but the rest i dont know. I really want to tye with all the other feathers but i just dont know any patterns that use all the other feathers. I need some patters more birds are coming this fall and i will have to many to keep. i dont want to have to throw any out but i might just have to if i get to many and cant use them up. :( Pleas give me some ideas or patters to make with this bird.

Thanks

Check out the moto minnow. Pheasant marabou is awesome stuff.