Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iFly

Recent floods

Had this happen yesterday....(look at hook)

EAE14AA9-F443-4476-92FC-2CCFA4DE2D37-16763-0000068263ADCF35.jpg

But made it happen today....Not the biggest fish but I'll take these anyday.

693941DA-8468-42D7-A898-05D0823C941A-16763-0000068205DF2CB3.jpg

968BD551-2112-4492-AA54-114B1B978E44-16763-00000683E7132965.jpg

Nice pic of the top of the red's head. You can really see why they are so powerful at any size. You must have locked into a bull to have your hook straightened. I have had big sheepshead do that to me when they turn sideways in the water. Did you get a look at the fish?

Panama- thanks and good luck to you on your trip. Post up a report if you can! And the hook that straightened was a Gamamatsu B10S. I've have them crooked after a few fish but never like that. The hook I caught the other ones on are a Mustad 34007 size 4.

Agn- thanks for the compliments. The fish was definately big. There were some times where he would tail and his whole tail an part of his back were out of the water. He was around 30 and probably a couple inches over that.

Wow you almost straightened out a gama?? Damn good hooks if you ask me, so you must of had a bull or on a Bull catching streak! Some nice pictures. Hope to get into a mess of reds on one of many trips to FL this Winter.

Wow you almost straightened out a gama?? Damn good hooks if you ask me, so you must of had a bull or on a Bull catching streak! Some nice pictures. Hope to get into a mess of reds on one of many trips to FL this Winter.

Ive been pleased with them so far but this time i was disappointed in them. But then again, theyre obviously a lighter hook and it was more of my fault because I should have had some on sturdier hooks in case I saw bigger fish. Good luck on your trips. Post up some reports.

Ive been pleased with them so far but this time i was disappointed in them. But then again, theyre obviously a lighter hook and it was more of my fault because I should have had some on sturdier hooks in case I saw bigger fish. Good luck on your trips. Post up some reports.

The B10s needs to be in a 2/0 or 3/0 before the wire is heavy enough for bulls. The SC15 down to a #1 will hold 50lb tarpon though.

Nice fish btw.

Kirk

I've never caught a bull otf let alone hooked one before that night. Thanks for the input Kirk. I'll make sure to remember that. I actually normally use the SC15 because I like the short shank and the wider gap but for this particular pattern I had gone to a size 6. (itty bitty fiddler crab pattern)

Some of the guys I know in Charleston refuse to use the Gamakatsu. They tell me they have had them sheer at the bend of the shank. Never saw the hook, so not sure how true it is they swear by the 34007, I refuse to use that hook due to the fact I think they are poorly sharpened

all gama's are sharp as hell

as for shearing off ive never seen it happen without smacking a backcast into a boulder

straightening the hook on a fish use a little drag man

gamakatsu is the best hook for my money

Ive fished Gama's almost exclusively for a few years now. Ive caught everything from Musky/Pike down to Red's and Grouper. Never seen one sheer..

although I dont often catch big fish :lol:

Sometimes there is a bad batch of hooks. I've used the Gamakatsu SC15 and other Gama hooks in addition to Mustad and Tiemcos and a friend that fishes almost exclusively with SC15 for tarpon down in the keys for the last fifteen years and haven't had that happen. 34007s are a soft ss and will straighten on ex-large fish in the smaller sizes. Thier new signature series seem a lot stronger but I haven't field tested them on bulls but have had some good reports of them holding up.

Years ago, when Tiemco first came out with their equivalent to the 34007, a rep sent me a few boxes. They snapped left and right. When I told him, he looked in to it and found out that their steel mixture of off and they had a batch that was brittle. Maybe something like that happened with SCOwens' friend/s.

Kirk