Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mainbutter

Hunting - preparing your own materials?

I may be doing some small game hunting this year (particularly hoping to get some mammal fur, most likely snowshoe hare or other rabbit species, and may even try to get a raccoon).

Has anyone taken the fur off of these animals and prepared them for fly tying? I'm thinking more about zonker strips and crosscut strips than just shaving off some fur for dubbing purposes.

I've found some stuff via google, but not really anything that sounded like firsthand information and the results of their efforts.

Thanks for any information on the subject!

P.S. I've begun work on carving my own hooks out of bone lately, using cow leg bones. It's slow going so far but I'm getting excited, I think for slightly thicker diameter ~sz1 hooks it'll work out nicely!

I've never done it from the start before but the skins I buy to cut into strips (zonker or crosscut)are tanned. You should be able to make your own zonker strip cutter. Plenty of step by steps on the web.

I may be doing some small game hunting this year (particularly hoping to get some mammal fur, most likely snowshoe hare or other rabbit species, and may even try to get a raccoon).

Has anyone taken the fur off of these animals and prepared them for fly tying? I'm thinking more about zonker strips and crosscut strips than just shaving off some fur for dubbing purposes.

I've found some stuff via google, but not really anything that sounded like firsthand information and the results of their efforts.

Thanks for any information on the subject!

P.S. I've begun work on carving my own hooks out of bone lately, using cow leg bones. It's slow going so far but I'm getting excited, I think for slightly thicker diameter ~sz1 hooks it'll work out nicely!

From Field to Fly

This book is pretty helpful