Fly Tying
Piker20

SEPTEMBER Flies

Not nearly as daunting as it looks Mike now that I am used to tying them it is incredible easy the color is sandy shad or something like that from FTD

Here's my spin on the Gurgler. The Gurgler is the first fly I learned to tie. I don't know how many I've tied, but every one of them were fun to tie. Tonight I decided to add a rattle. We'll see how it floats. Now I just need to figure out how to make it Walk the Dog.

post-43256-0-72161500-1347067515_thumb.jpg

post-43256-0-33942200-1347067536_thumb.jpg

Nice Classic, CTobias. I like the looks of Classic flies, and it's amazing the way you tiers marry the feathers of the wing. But I'll probably never tie them.

I don't want to hijack this thread but, I have a question about the hooks. I noticed some hook for sale, and it was the first time I paid attention to the hook itself. There's no eye !!!

What is the purpose of using a knob on the hook rather than an eye? It seems to me that after you've tied in a loop for attaching the fly to the leader, you've probably offset any weight difference. Just my curiosity smacking me in the head again.

Nice Classic, CTobias. I like the looks of Classic flies, and it's amazing the way you tiers marry the feathers of the wing. But I'll probably never tie them.

I don't want to hijack this thread but, I have a question about the hooks. I noticed some hook for sale, and it was the first time I paid attention to the hook itself. There's no eye !!!

What is the purpose of using a knob on the hook rather than an eye? It seems to me that after you've tied in a loop for attaching the fly to the leader, you've probably offset any weight difference. Just my curiosity smacking me in the head again.

I'm no expert, but i'd guess either... for presentation only flies, or they're old antique hooks. They didn't used to have eyes I don't think. I'm sure someone else knows the real answer.

Great looking flies everyone!

I'm no expert, but i'd guess either... for presentation only flies, or they're old antique hooks. They didn't used to have eyes I don't think. I'm sure someone else knows the real answer.

Great looking flies everyone!

Spot on. The old hooks were blind so he's tying the eye on to create the proper look, or he has blind hooks.

tying in the eye material, be it gut or some other choice, allows you to increase the body thickness with out using a ton of silk too. Blind eye flies are still used for fishing as well as "show" flies. I am no expert in the technique but I have fooled around with it...

Murray

The hook in question is a blind eye Alec Jackson size 1.5 Spey hook. I use 30lb Dacron for the eye. I use silk gut if I am tying "presentation" flies for friends.

These flies will be fished. Hopefully there are some willing salmon that will take them on the swing. A lot of guys still use blind eyes, but for some it is too much hassle to tie in their own eye. Using dacron gives the fly more action in the water.

Thanks for all the compliments. Some great looking bass bugs this month! So many fish, so little time.

#2 olive/black deer hair popper.

DSC_0038-3.jpg

#2 red/black deer hair slider.

DSC_0014.jpg

Very nice to see some quality bugs, lets see more B)

Great Job. Killers

Not sure if i am correct but i did hear that when the Europeans brought their blind eye fly patterns over to the East Coast of Canada for Atlantics after the gut loop or dacron had broken the Canadians begun tying directly behind the head as to not waste a good fly pattern and hence came up with the 'riffling hitch'.

*edit* also the straight eye created with the gut or dacon eliminates the need for a turtle knot.

Anyway Happy Mudsharking, you nailed the colours that are working.

I use a lot of blind eye hooks on my traditional tenkara flies. There is no problem with it holding since I use 20 lb darcon.