Fly Tying
Piker20

SEPTEMBER Flies

Fantastic flies folks!

Here's a bit o' Deer Hair work from today

DeerWorksorta002_zps00329670.jpg

Kinda long hooks, but I think that may actually be a good thing. The bottom started out to be some kinda "Royal" but the deer hair fever still had a grip on me.... :lol:

Murray

P.S. FFJam, I was told to try doing two or three loose wraps on the stem and then do tight ones back towards the eye and back over the whole thing to form the head

Lykos33, tasty bombers! Even i'd like to chew on those! You are right the loose wraps do help a load and just remembering these such simple things is a blessing so thankyou guys very much!

@ piker20 - thanks for the tip, sometimes you just need to hear these techniques again before you throw the vice out the window...Still the Black G.P's are far too advanced for me at this stage, that is a real tricky pattern to learn. Had to fall back onto the Ally's Shrimp Variant (i think you posted some kick ass Ally's Shrimp a while back?). I hope they work with a big downstream mend, the tail isn't very long and no crystal flash along with the wing being too short but oh well!

@ JT1963 - The yellow body material is 'Uni Floss Neon Chartreuse 2 ply'...I spun the floss like a rope to get the more segmented look on the fly. Oh goodness those flies work well for the Chinook, i tied 6 and they are all gone already.

At least i am starting to be able to make some wings with this stuff, it is a frustrating material and if anyone has a black G.P to post i'd love to see it, the Lingren variety. Such a complex tie moving up the shank with many materials keeping the correct spacing is a nightmare.

LOL here is a very simple Ally's Shrimp as i said, i will work up from here...

P9201953_zpsd197a3de.jpg

Hair wing and spey hackle variety

P9201949_zpsa328c650.jpg

Needed more chartreuse, okay going for a drive tomorrow i better pack some sandwiches along with these flies as they glow really nicely, do many of you on the forum have much luck with chartreuse? For me i have found it can be good when the sun is out in the middle of the day. The darker coloured flies i would tend to fish in darker conditions, at least here. In the salt the brighter colours like electric chicken are winners.

P9201954_zps7ad111ff.jpg

P9201956_zpsed610183.jpg

Okay one more... "Bubblegum"

Uni Cord 7/0 white (for dubbing loop/ split thread)

Articulated Shank

Octopus Hook (red)

30lb Fireline (smoke)

Small Tungsten Eye

Pink Arctic Fox (In split thread dubbing loop to form rear bump)

Seal Fur dubbing or anything for body between two 'bumps'

Pink Spey Hackle for a long flowing fiber under the ostrich

Pink and Blue Ostrich (probably too much needs to be more sparse!) Ontop

Blue UV Guinea Collar

Stick on eye

For steelhead, just to annoy them and trigger an aggressive response - the next ones i think could do with 1/2 the ostrich, as usual it is common 'choose the amount of material you think is right...Now half that' is essential.

P9201959_zpsaff29d2b.jpg

Lykos33 ... you could always start a thread at the back and tie in a tail ... But I think those will catch fish just the way they are.

FlyFishin'Jam, might be wrong but I'm sure the original GP was tied on a double. These hooks give us a broader shank to work with which helps a lot in avoiding the roll of the materials.

post-42518-0-32234400-1348213154_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure a dull, flashy opposite is all that bad. Lots of my best spoons or spinners have a dull/flash/dull/flash action that seems to be what the fish hit at.

FlyFishin'Jam, might be wrong but I'm sure the original GP was tied on a double. These hooks give us a broader shank to work with which helps a lot in avoiding the roll of the materials.

post-42518-0-32234400-1348213154_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure a dull, flashy opposite is all that bad. Lots of my best spoons or spinners have a dull/flash/dull/flash action that seems to be what the fish hit at.

Yep traditionally they are, yet reading the book 'shrimp & spey flies for steelhead and salmon' they mention that there is no reason why they cannot be tied on heavier singles (often waters we fish here it is a requirement for a single barbless). Also goes to mention for the tail the best material is polar bear :)

oh I totally agree. We fish trebles doubles or singles at different times. And then you have the low water or the heavier gauge hooks in each type. Then tubes on top of that. Just pointing out that tying in on the single makes it harder for us. On my local salmon rivers Artic fox is finding a way into lots of patterns where previously it would have been a stiffer hair like bucktail even.

Actually just reading again and the lingren variety calls for leadfree wire on the shank as a single is not as stable in faster flows.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Vv9P86s9rjYC&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=lindgren+black+g.p&source=bl&ots=7fxwa0M2HL&sig=Ecrz5bGwUpRHevfjkrxCGKoHR0c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=grBcUIn7L8rl0QHi3oGoDg&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw

Here is where they used cement on the g.p feather

post-29540-0-73625800-1348252037_thumb.jpg

Actually just reading again and the lingren variety calls for leadfree wire on the shank as a single is not as stable in faster flows.

That would bewhere I would use the heavy wire double but now you're struggling to find anyone not carrying tube flies or cone heads that give wide hook and weight options. Apart from low summer flows the salmon fly on a hook is declining up my way.

UV2KFEMERGERGREY-1-_zps0a975a59.jpg

UV 2 KRYSTAL FLASH EMERGER (Grey) – Rick Murphy/Variant, Daiichi 1110 or 1100, #18 – #22…

First in a series of 12-16 Baetis/ BWO's I be doing for Fall, in the Eastern Sierras...

PT/TB ;)

That would bewhere I would use the heavy wire double but now you're struggling to find anyone not carrying tube flies or cone heads that give wide hook and weight options. Apart from low summer flows the salmon fly on a hook is declining up my way.

The popularity of tube flies on this side too has been quite large and for those reasons. I have had a strange season, all my salmon have been on unweighted spey type singles and i have got to witness some aggressive takes just a foot below the surface film. If we had rain this year it would be a different story and i would be plumbing the murky depths. Steelhead too, always big 'Intruder types'.

Sad it is declining in a way, but that is interesting to note. A good hook if you need depth in a hurry and you are fishing singles is a Partridge Bartlet Supreme CS10-2, 1xXH (the extra heavy weight forged irons). These sink like bricks.

Anyway here are some Thunder Spey's (Deco) and very sparse.

P9211949_zps7b0b66c1.jpg

P9211954_zps63640f80.jpg

Have to post one more, a tiny size #16 soft hackle. Really hard as my vice light is broken, so tying by candlelight here, upon the macro shot lol, needs work. But will do more of this as it seems to work well for trout indeed. Come back day light!

P9211957_zps505da7ce.jpg