Fly Tying
Gentle Shepherd

Hand Tied Flies - Saleman's Sample Plates

Regardless of their origin, very cool find. Get those things framed up, itll make a nice display!

I bought a salesman's sample book that contains multiple pages of hand tied flies that look much like the ones you have pictured. I posted images of this set two or three years ago; I'll see if I can find the thread. The set was from early in the twentieth century (I suspect, but there is no date), and it is from England.

Found them:

milwards2.jpg

milwards1.jpg

milwards4.jpg

milwards3.jpg

If you've got the money, you can have frame boxes made that are virtually airtight. Then, with a few desiccant packs in the frame, you can control moisture and keep the flies looking good for a long time.

Hi Gentleman Shepherd,

They look like the samples the Glen L. Evans company used to give their sales reps many years ago. Gretchen's aunt used to tie flies for that company. They converted treadle sewing machines to make rotating vises. We still have one of those old treadle vises; Gretchen can tie on it but I sure have trouble with it. Tying with my feet just doesn't work for some reason! Take care & ...