Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Possumpoint

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Wanted to use the UV cured epoxy system since I first saw it. Bought the light and a tube of Loon UV wader repair on the advice of a clerk at the store. Used it for the first time this afternoon. No matter how long I shine the light on the epoxy, it feels slightly tacky. Is the problem that the wader repair is intended to be flexible? If so, what product should I have bought?

put the uv cured area or fly in the sun for about 1/2 hour and the tackiness should go away. the tackiness appear to be an inherent character of all of the uv cured resins

i've tried most of them out there even the ones that say tack free using the light that came in the kit and with new batteries and they all cure tacky to a degree, some less tackier than others.

the good old sun fixes that. tack free and hard as a rock

i now use the light to basically set the resin and then stick the flies in a holder and place that on my deck railing in the sun for about 1/2 hour turning the block occasionally to get full coverage from the sun.

readyfortails.jpg

dont give up. these uv cured resins have their place in fly tying uses

I've used the "tack free" version from one well known company, even put in brand new batteries, and it's still tacky. I was very hopeful the "tack free" would cure....well....tack free. I love the product other than that. You can't beat the 6 second cure time, but that kinda goes out the window when I have to add a top coat of Sally's, or rub it with alcohol....both of which have found the hole in the "tack free" coat and then destroys the paint underneath. Still trying to figure out what to do. I have yet to set them in the sun for a final finish.....that's up next.

Diamond Hard from Deer Creek Flies is tack free. It is also one of the clearest UV resin I Have used. I have tested against the Loon fly finish and Clear Goo tack free. The Loon is the worst, Clear Goo tack free is still tacky after the light hits it.

Carlp

Thanks to all who took time to reply. I used hard as nails on the four streamers I tied; that save the day. I was using a Loon product and one reply rated that the worst.

I use the Loon UV Knot Sense to coat my midges, and I have had great luck with it. Dries hard as a rock, and is not cloudy at all if you don't touch it while it's tacky. Personally, I cure them for way more than 6 seconds under a black light. Probably more like 1\2 an hour until its solid. Like someone said above, take them outside in the sun for a bit. They will be solid in no time.