Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

The Almost Fishing Report

Between the weather and my gallbladders new solo career I wasn't able to get out on the water much last month...

I had a window of opportunity on Sunday so loaded the boat and off I went, it was a bit windy and overcast, but it was fishing and I had a new rod and reel to play with.

My camera went overboard in July along with the remote for my power pole... Some times you have to pay the fishing gods (and take pictures with a crummy phone camera).

After a few small trout like fish I caught a chubby 23 inch girl, nice but nothing to dance about. My phone (my $ goes to fishing).

IMG_0538.jpg

The same fly after a freshwater rinse and dry. Wife's phone. $ squandered, right? (Apple Schmapple).

IMG_0546.jpg

Had hoped to catch some pompano and a red or two, however, weather and water conditions said otherwise. All in all it great to get out if only for a couple of hours even if today's weather gave me the fickle finger of fate.

WUNIDS_map.gif

Will spend rest of today working on my "special" costume to wear on Peterjay's float for next years parade, "A celibration of fly fishing musicals" :blink:

Tight lines...dave

Thanks for the report Dave. That's a pretty trout. They're starting to show here - I tried under the dock lights the other night with nothing to show for it but mosquito bites. I really like that fly. Hey, I hope your gall bladder enjoys being on its own. And don't worry - some people live for months without a gall bladder. ;)

Will spend rest of today working on my "special" costume to wear on Peterjay's float for next years parade, "A celibration of fly fishing musicals" :blink:

Tight lines...dave

look forward to seeing the pics of that. My favourites are Fiddler crab pattern on the roof, spinning in the rain, Tangled and Mary Popping.

Tight lines...dave

look forward to seeing the pics of that. My favourites are Fiddler crab pattern on the roof, spinning in the rain, Tangled and Mary Popping.

fly-fishing-vector-graphic-women-s-string-thong.png :huh:

I'm really starting to get excited about the parade - I've got the theme song almost finished: "Take Me to the River Runs Through It." You guys are gonna love Dave's costume this year - he's been working all summer sewing sequins onto his new pink tights. B)

I havent gotten the invite to his parade yet.. not sure why. I mean PeterJay is the one who taught me all about wig hair!!

Oh yeah, nice fly Dave. Glad to see you are back fishing. I see something missing that is usually a staple in your photos. To be honest I am disappointed. Did you not have beer with you!?!??!?!?!?!?! Did they take part of your brain with the gall bladder!?!?! :lol:

I havent gotten the invite to his parade yet.. not sure why. I mean PeterJay is the one who taught me all about wig hair!!

Oh yeah, nice fly Dave. Glad to see you are back fishing. I see something missing that is usually a staple in your photos. To be honest I am disappointed. Did you not have beer with you!?!??!?!?!?!?! Did they take part of your brain with the gall bladder!?!?! :lol:

Ben, a lobotomy is already considered a rite of passage in the Sunshine State. Trust me, I know. I went to Florida in 1969 and wound up marrying someone I'd known for three weeks. I swear I was perfectly normal until I crossed the state line. To this day, I run and hide in the closet if anybody so much as mentions Florida. :unsure:

BTW, you have to be an active member of the IBB (International Brotherhood of Bizarros) in order to participate in the festivities. Your application is on its way. Dave's not only a member, he's a 33rd degree grand master and a charter member of the Hall of Fame.

Ben, a lobotomy is already considered a rite of passage in the Sunshine State. Trust me, I know. I went to Florida in 1969 and wound up marrying someone I'd known for three weeks. I swear I was perfectly normal until I crossed the state line. To this day, I run and hide in the closet if anybody so much as mentions Florida. :unsure:

BTW, you have to be an active member of the IBB (International Brotherhood of Bizarros) in order to participate in the festivities. Your application is on its way. Dave's not only a member, he's a 33rd degree grand master and a charter member of the Hall of Fame.

Thanks guys, I think I just had my first laughing till I pee episode :huh:

Ben, a lobotomy is already considered a rite of passage in the Sunshine State.

Haha, truer words were never spoken. I have no idea why we are so wacky down here, I guess it's the heat, or it's just what happens when you live in America's penis

Dave, I got out Sunday as well and we had similar water clarity problems over my way. Lots of grass on the surface and the water on the flats was black from all the fresh water poring out of the river and creaks. If you looked at the prop wash you would swear you were in a lake, that and the rolling gar on the flats a half mile out. It was the first time I had ever seen rolling gar and sharks finning in the same place. The sharks just busted at the plugs without hitting. Did manage a few trout, one decent one and several missed hook ups on nice fish. They kept missing the hook, I guess from poor visibility. It's scaolloping season but that would have been impossible in the dark water, and after seeing the sharks I wasn't about to go in any way.

By the way, that's one awesome looking fly

Panama, didn't know you were down - glad to see a report from you (and aren't trout the best fish in bad conditions?). Here's a tip for that next camera (my current one is a Pentax Optio W-80).. Although it's waterproof (something I'm not eager to test), like all cameras it doesn't float so I've always been worried that if dropped in the water it will sleep with the fishes.... I took a length of 30lb mono and made a lanyard that's just long enough that while around my neck the camera can hang inside my pants pocket. That way it's out of the way all day long until needed, fairly protected (turned so the all important screen is in towards me) but ready at a moment's notice.... I figure that my fishing reports aren't worth much without a photo or two.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

Thanks Capt B, trout surely are a bad days best friend! Funny you mention the Pentax Optio line of cameras, a thread in the FS fly section mentions the Optio WG-2... I'll give the W-80 a look.

As for pictures, without them it's just another fish story :D And god knows I have enough of those, just feed me a beer or two and I'll tell a few ;)

Panama, didn't know you were down - glad to see a report from you (and aren't trout the best fish in bad conditions?). Here's a tip for that next camera (my current one is a Pentax Optio W-80).. Although it's waterproof (something I'm not eager to test), like all cameras it doesn't float so I've always been worried that if dropped in the water it will sleep with the fishes.... I took a length of 30lb mono and made a lanyard that's just long enough that while around my neck the camera can hang inside my pants pocket. That way it's out of the way all day long until needed, fairly protected (turned so the all important screen is in towards me) but ready at a moment's notice.... I figure that my fishing reports aren't worth much without a photo or two.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

You guys got me thinking. (hey, it happens sometimes) Wouldn't it be possible to attach a small buoy to the wrist strap? The Optio is fairly light, so it wouldn't take much. I can't afford to risk my regular camera around salt water, so I'm thinking about getting an Optio to bring on the boat, and I'm already scared of dropping it overboard. I figure with my coordination, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

Ben, a lobotomy is already considered a rite of passage in the Sunshine State.

Haha, truer words were never spoken. I have no idea why we are so wacky down here, I guess it's the heat, or it's just what happens when you live in America's penis

Dave, I got out Sunday as well and we had similar water clarity problems over my way. Lots of grass on the surface and the water on the flats was black from all the fresh water poring out of the river and creaks. If you looked at the prop wash you would swear you were in a lake, that and the rolling gar on the flats a half mile out. It was the first time I had ever seen rolling gar and sharks finning in the same place. The sharks just busted at the plugs without hitting. Did manage a few trout, one decent one and several missed hook ups on nice fish. They kept missing the hook, I guess from poor visibility. It's scaolloping season but that would have been impossible in the dark water, and after seeing the sharks I wasn't about to go in any way.

Now I know why I feel like a seaman 2nd class :blink:

I think it's going to take a while for the water to water to clear, shame really I have found that we tend to get a good amount of pomps, jack, and others in the bay when the gulf churns up.

By the way, that's one awesome looking fly

Seriously: Dave, glad to hear you're doing well. I was wondering why you'd become scarce all of a sudden. Best wishes for a full recovery. :)

Thanks PJ, I have to tell you the operation was a piece of cake, plenty of drugs and a nice nap... Just can't figure out why they shaved my butt :huh: . Kind of itches as it grows back.

Now I know why I feel like a seaman 2nd class :blink:

That cracked me up, you damn near made me spit water out of my nose