Fly Tying
scottross09

Hip Pack vs. Vest

What are people's thoughts on a hip/chest pack vs. a vest. It seems that a lot of people are leaning towards the hip packs now a days, and I am thinking of making the switch myself. Any pros/cons on either options?

I have a chest pack and love it. I can pack everything in it for a day of hiking and fishing and its less restrictive then a vest plus my back pouch is waterproof so my back stays dry if I happen to catch something I want to take home and it fits over my camelback without leaving that hunch back look

I think it all depends on how long you are going to be out and how consistent the conditions are going to be. When I only take a few items, I always wish I had brought something that I left behind. So I now take everything and that requires a vest. There is no way I can get sun screen, insect repellent, water bottle, energy bars, camera, rain gear, etc. into A hip pack. Add to that a the large fly boxes required for streamers and popppers, especially if a variety of species could be encountered.

I carry 2 or 3 or 4 fly boxes in a shoulder bag that has some side pockets for other needs such as leaders, tippet material, pliers, etc.. I wear a nylon fishing shirt with several pockets and loops. I have line clippers and cell phone in my shirt as well as wallet. I wade wet in summer. Much too hot here for waders and vest. I do like a vest in cooler weather but usually still carry the shoulder bag.

I have a chest pack and love it. I can pack everything in it for a day of hiking and fishing and its less restrictive then a vest plus my back pouch is waterproof so my back stays dry if I happen to catch something I want to take home and it fits over my camelback without leaving that hunch back look

Paul, what make pack are you using

orvis sling works for me

sling-pack-gr.jpg

I really like the looks of that sling pack. That is something to consider for sure. I was looking at the Simms Headwaters chest/hip pack, but maybe a sling pack may be the way to go. My only question would be then though, is it doable to have a net with you like you can hook to the back of your vest?

Well, I'm now too old to try and look cool. :angry: Used to use a vest (and looked damn good in it!), but switched to a fannypack I got at Wal-Mart or someplace. I fish strictly small streams, so don't need to lug around a lot of stuff.I can carry my flies and fishing suff, along with a homemade alcohol stove (1/2 ounce), cup, Tea, a few things for lunch, small water bottle, and a very small first aid kit.

I once asked my wife if she thought I was still good looking. Her reply was "Well, I think you're rugged looking." :rolleyes: I've given up on cool.

Paul, what make pack are you using

I use the Cabelas multi pack I bought it off John Ridderdos great pack the front pouch unzips into a table and I have been guilty of tying a fly right in the middle of the river a couple of times :lol:

Hi,

I've always used the traditional fly vest, but liked the looks of the LL Bean Rapid River Vest Pack, read a number of excellent reviews on different sites, so decided to give it a try. I think it's great for a day trip, enough pockets to hold most of the accessories you will need to bring along. It's not a backpack, so it won't hold as much, but so far has been a good purchase for me. Just another option.

rapidrivervestpack.jpg

FredSG

My only question would be then though, is it doable to have a net with you like you can hook to the back of your vest?

yes, there are two orange loops in the foto that can be used a net attachment points

Conditions dictate. My condition is short man in a deep river. I typically carry an over the shoulder bag. Specifically a Vietnam War gas mask bag that I can stuff with a fair amount of gear. When I go deep I raise it over my head. Most of the time now I'm night fishing so I carry nothing. Three flies in my shirt pocket, a spool of fluoro and a pair of hemostats. Camera in wader pocket. No food, no water, no rain gear. Makes for a smaller profile at night when the big wary kids like to play.