Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

washing materials

I've washed both rooster saddles/necks and bucktail as a first step before dyeing. The advice I was given many years ago (late seventies) was to use Dawn dishwashing detergent in warm water wih several cold rinses. It was right on the money (use Dawn for animal fats, Joy to remove petroleum products or synthetic based oils or greases). Once the pieces were washed and rinsed they were laid out on newspaper and turned frequently to aid in the drying process. For feathers on skin you could also clothespin them up onto a laundry line (I preferred onto a chainlink fence) for the final drying. This allowed the feathers (particularly neck hackles - large for tarpon flies)to fluff up. The downside to hanging is that your feathers will naturally curve as they dry (handy for tarpon flies, not so much for other needs).

However you wash make sure to thoroughly rinse, and be very certain your materials are fully dry before storage.... (that's one of those "Ask me how I know" propositions...).

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954)435-5666

dawn is the best to use and just how Capt Bob said but i will add if you do wash any hides or tails. you will need to resalt them or borax them again. If you don't , it could cause them to rot, because you will be reintroducing moisture into the hide. I've seen people do this and forget to add the salt and borax and those tails really did stink.

When washing and bleaching bucktails that my hunting friends give me, I usually wash them with Oxy Clean. It cleans them up well, especially when they are bloody, and really makes the hair soft. Billy Mays should have shown this use when doing those annoying infomercials for it :lol:

Capt. Bob said it all. They do not need to be re-salted or treated with Borax if they are properly dried before storage. One of the reasons for putting them on newspaper, flesh-side down, to dry is because of newspaper being such an excellent blotter. It will literally draw the moisture out of the skin.

Frank

I tend to soak my feathers that are dyed black. I've found most of the dyed black ones leach out during tying and when fishing tainting all the other materials. A good pre wash seems to wash out the worst of it. Never an issue with furs.

Flytire ... I think you've gotten your answer to what kind of detergent, yes? I hope so, because this question might high-jack the thread.

Just before leaving home for two weeks to come out here to California, I cut the tail off a fresh roadkill raccoon. It looks like it might be good fur for tails and dubbing. But I didn't have any salt. I skinned the tail and put the skin in a container with cat litter.

My question: Will this work? I did put it in the fridge to keep it from rotting if it doesn't. Has anybody ever tried drying out a pelt with kitty litter rather than salt or borax?

Even if it dries it out, it's apt to reconstitute itself under humid conditions. Raccoon fur is relatively cheap. I'd throw it away and buy a clean tail. Let somebody else do the dirty work.

2o mule team borax works great for preserving hides, you need to remove as much flesh and fat as possible and really put it on thick and let it dry for a while. i did this with a turkey tail for my dad and made him a nice display, it would also work for preserving them for fly tying. If you use salt try to use non-iodized.

we are not preserving skins on this thread as there are other threads regarding that subject. please post there or start another one. thanks

anyone else have ideas on washing materials

Not washing them for a cleaning reason but my marabou always has a dunk in a glass of water before/while I'm tying. Helps make the stem supple and helps keep the fibres less playful.

The only materials that I wash are the ones that are given to me by shooting friends and roadkill. Possibly bucktails that I buy because they are often smelly.

I use washing up liquid in a small dose with some fabric condition as well.

Flytire,

I think you should use Dawn or Joy dish washing liquid, or maybe Oxy-clean. Use Newspaper to blot dry or re-apply salt or Borax.

is there any risk involved when washing materials that have been dyed? I was especially concerned when it comes to using oxy-clean.