Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

deer hair frogs

Here are my deer hair frogs. All of them produced many fish. These are the survivors from the season.

post-19670-0-40798900-1347651560_thumb.jpg

You have some nice looking croakers there. I have tied a few but I have struggled with them. Do you have better luck with the hair legs or the rubber legs. I have never used rubber myself.

The thing that I struggle with is putting the joint in the legs. Would you mind explaining your method for winding in the wire for the joint. It would be a big help to me and probably others. Thanks

You have some nice looking croakers there. I have tied a few but I have struggled with them. Do you have better luck with the hair legs or the rubber legs. I have never used rubber myself.

The thing that I struggle with is putting the joint in the legs. Would you mind explaining your method for winding in the wire for the joint. It would be a big help to me and probably others. Thanks

Thanks. I like the hair legs better because they never foul when casting, with the rubber legs every few casts you have to check them.

For the hair legs I picked up some wire atthe hardware store, not sure what gauge because I have had it for years. It bends fairly easily but is about 3-4x the thickness of a regular paper clip.

I just place a straight piece of wire in my vice, laydown a thread base the same length as the joint and tie on my bucktail. After this I whip finish and apply head cement and let dry. After this I trim the wire and bend using two pair of pliers. The pliers tend to be a bit rough on the thread so I usually use 210 or the big fly thread. I apply head cement to the bend again and that's it.

I do spin a lump of deer hair on the hook before I tie them in so that they stay out from the body of the fly. Not sure if it is the correct way to do this but it works. Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply....that should ease my trouble area. I need to use a little heavier wire and change my method. I have been tying ina bunch of bucktail after the first bunch of dear hair and then spliting the bunch of bucktail and then trying to tie in the wire in the middle of each bunch. Your method sounds much easier.

I do spin a lump of deer hair on the hook before I tie them in so that they stay out from the body of the fly. Not sure if it is the correct way to do this but it works. Hope this helps
...Yep, I do this also...thanks again.