Fly Tying
Horseshoes

Calling all current and previous swapmeisters

I think if you answer my question I am about to ask it may help swappers understand a few things from your point of few.

Here is the question; (previous meisters) - Why did you stop hosting swaps?

(current meisters) - What is it that is making you ask yourself about not hosting another.

Thank you for participating. Please, no names of swappers when giving examples.:rolleyes:

Guest rich mc

drop outs and some that cant make the deadline. but then you get into a swap that runs beautifully and flies are great. rich mc

1. Swappers that are late.

2. Swappers that drop out without notice.

3. Swappers that don't send enough return postage.

Then there's guys like Floyd who always sends extras for EVERYONE. Thanks Floyd.

Then there was the guy from Canada who sent $5 US for $2 return postage. He even said keep the change.

All in all it's wothwhile, but there are those days.

Swappers that are late and do not bother to answer the PM's that you send to them asking about their flies. I understand that sometimes things come up and you can't help being late. But it would be nice if late swappers could at least give you some idea of whether or not they are going to fulfill their obligations or not.

BB

Swappers who drop out without notice! I try to PM everyone two weeks before due date if I have not received their flies. When they do not have to courtesy to answer I have no idea whether I should wait or just end the swap. I get so that I want to make all my swaps invitation only. That way I know who's in and who's not. This drop out problem seems to have gotten worse lately, and I no longer see a lot of swappers that used to post here all the time.

Lack of respect for my time and my commitments. When a swapmeister sets a date it is because it fits with their own commitments, I just got fed up of no shows, no contacts, and a general disregard for others. Some flies would show as much as 6 weeks after the due date with no explanation or apology. In the end it just wasn't worth my time.

Steve

I think you already knew the reason(s). The replies just give you some proof.

Maybe instead of having to BE in 3 swaps before you can host, you should HOST 3 swaps before you can swap. Then may be the drop-out swappers would understand what they are doing to a wonderful thing.

Jim

Gotta say I agree with all.

It's difficult to join swaps from so far away, but when I commit I try to make sure I do everything in my power so that I'm not the one being waited on.

Haven't really had any major trouble yet with hosting, except for filling the spots.... Probably because of the Fishing I do and flies I tie.

Its the people that drop without a word, if you know you've made a commitment you cant keep then have the decency to let the SM know why you cant finish. It takes all of 5 minutes to explain yourself, instead of leaving everyone else wondering.

All of the above plus I'm too time constrained lately. The worst is lack of communication from the people that join the swap.

I still feel it is an worthwhile endeavor nothing like seeing the neat flies that come in and trying to figure out why they did it this particular way.

When you get dropouts and/or lose contact with numerous participants of your swap. I believe this can result in the willing and active swap participants to lose faith in you as a swapmeister!

I hope Horseshoes doesn't mind me butting on this because I have not hosted a swap. I have thought about hosting several times, but seeing the kind of issues everyone listed above has always made me second guess that decision. However, I do need to say that the overwhelming majority of swaps I have been involved with have been very positive experiences. Drop outs seem to be relatively rare and are going to happen, and it is human nature to keep thinking that you will be able to find a few hours to knock out the flys and get them in the mail. So I guess dropouts don't really bother me as much. The late senders are much more of a problem in my opinion. I admit I have been a day or two late a few times, but I always try to let the swapmeister and swappers know as soon as I realize I would miss the deadline. I have been in swaps where the swapmeister is sending people PMs with no response a full week or more after the deadline has passed, and under all but extreme circumstances I think that is very poor behavior on the part of the swapper. But on the other hand, why set a deadline if it does not mean anything? I have skipped a weekend day's fishing or stayed up too late in order to get my flys in on time, and seeing the days tick away once the deadline passes makes me feel a bit foolish for doing that. I suggest that once the deadline passes, the door is closed. Maybe make an allowance for someone that gives you a heads up that they will be a day or two late, but after that just send back any extras to the swappers and send the late swappers their own flys back. I'm guessing that would encourage better time management, but it would have to be done by most swapmeisters for it to be effective.

I can deal with dropouts, late senders if they will just let me know what is going on with the flies. What I hate is the people who won't or don't answer PMs. I don't know if they are sick, left the country, are out fishing, forgot they signed up. PLEASE, just let the swapmeister know what the hell is going on.