Fly Tying
Firetiger

Scruffy Grayling Bug

Step 1: Hook Selection

For Grayling fishing I prefer smaller hooks than for Trout. This will be a nymph, so a more substantial hook is called for. The Kamasan B110 Grubber hook (debarbed) is a nice compromise.

To add some weight a 3.3mm caliber Tungsten beadhead is attached.

Bug01.JPG

Step 2: Start the Tag

The tag is from Glo Brite floss. Grayling like pink color, so I am using the pink #2 color. Others - such as #12 fluo green - are also very good.

The tag is tied on the bare hook, without the help of regular tying thread.

Bug02.JPG

Step 3: Finish the Tag

Finish the tag, whip finish and cut off your floss.

Bug03.JPG

Step 4: Tying Thread

Tie in your regular tying thread. I am using an elastic tan thread.

Bug04.JPG

Step 5: Ribbing material

Tie in a length of golden French tinsel, making sure the tinsel starts just behind the bead. This way the fly will have uniform thickness, without any unseemly humps.

Bug05.JPG

Step 6: Dub the body

Dub the body using coarse hare hair. Leave a little space behind the head to tie off the ribbing.

Bug06.JPG

Step 7: Wrap the Ribbing

Wrap the ribbing, making about 3 even turns. Be sure to wind the ribbing in the same direction as your tying thread, so that it will hold it securely in place.

Secure the ribbing with your tying thread and cut it off.

Bug07.JPG

Step 8: Dub the Thorax

Cover the space where the tinsel has been tied off with loosely dubbed Hare. Use a little bit more material than would seem fit. Whip finish your tying thread into the dubbing.

Bug08.JPG

Step 9: Finishing touches

Using a piece of velcro strip rub the whole fly (and especially the loosely dubbed thorax) vigorously. This should give the fly an unkempt, scruffy look.

Bug09.JPG

Take a step back and enjoy your work!

Cheers!

J.

looking to get after some grayling on the tummel this winter. I will tie some of these. Do you fish just one on point with lighter patterns above or use 2 or 3 of these?

looking to get after some grayling on the tummel this winter. I will tie some of these. Do you fish just one on point with lighter patterns above or use 2 or 3 of these?

nice pattern that i have an idea for a few variations so thanks for the idea ..........ahhh the tummel not been on there for a few years