Fly Tying
CoachBob

Invention Needed

There are thousands of arm amputees each year, veterans and non-vets. The one item that has yet to be perfected for amputee fishermen is a one handed knot tyer. Using vest mounted fly pads helps, but it takes a LOT of skill, and the two advertised one-handed hook tyers don't really work very well (just my opinion, but I own them both).

The creator/inventor of a one handed knot tyer will not make a lot of money, but will do a real service to amputee fishermen.

Put on your thinking cap, come up with an idea and post it or do whatever is needed to make it available.

It's one of my worst case scenarios in terms of fishing, losing an arm or hand. Even working a reel strikes me as near impossible. I'd never considered the basic steps like tying a knot. Be interesting to see if this generates some answers.

I knew an angler once that could take a hook and put it in their mouth...then take the tag end of a tippit and do the same...out came a perfectly tied "Improved Clinch Knot" on the hook. "She" gave me goosebumps every time she did it!!! he he!!!

Okay!, now that the joke is over...I truly think you're onto something here. Such a convenience would not only help amputee's...It would also help a wide group of folks such as those visually impaired.

I'm really interested to hear what folks come up with.

Henry

I thought about the mouth thing but not a healthy answer. Dont suppose even the mechanical hands can cope with hook and tag end. This is festering on my mind now. Hope someone comes up with a good idea.

Apologise for any lack of proper names for these things, no offence intended; for folk fitted with the articial 'split hook' type hand, that works a bit like a pincer, could a small hole be machined an inch back on one piece that a hook could sit in, allowing the tips to grip the line end at the hook eye when closed, and the other hand can wrap the tag around? The way I would hold the hook between thumb and forefinger while also trapping the line and then wrapping the tag around? Not a one size fits all solution I know.

I have some experience working with disabled vets through Project Healing Waters. Some can even tie flies with one hand. Some use the Evergreen Hand (

) and some use only standard tying equipment.

One method is to have someone else pre-attach a short length of tippet to each fly. The non-fly end will have a loop so a loop-to-loop connection can be made to the leader. The leader would obviously require a loop (larger than normal for convenience) to complete the connection.

To actually tie a fly to the line will take longer to type than to actually do. This may not be clear, but I'll try.

1. Start by threading the tippet (have plenty available) through the hook's eye while the fly is stuck on the fly pad.

2. Put the end of the tippet in your between your teeth.

3. Twist a loop in the tippet (by wrapping the tippet around your index finger or index finger an thumb) near your mouth then grab the tippet through this loop. This is best done in one motion without trying to re-grab anything.

4. Now pull the tippet that you just grabbed through the loop. You have basically created an overhand knot with a loop through it (a slip knot).

5. Carefully pull the overhand knot portion tight without losing the loop.

6. You can now release the tippet from your mouth.

7. Next, put the loop over the entire fly. You will have to detach the fly from the pad to do this.

8. Now just pull this slip knot tight against the hook’s eye and you are done.

9. Trim off the excess tippet material.

The video below shows the same knot, but is dome with two hands and I believe the slip knot can be done in a much easier manner (as I described it above).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgjJtVcRl8w&feature=relmfu

I thought about the mouth thing but not a healthy answer.

Not a healthy answer Piker20?...Okay!?, perhaps for some folks, I'll give you that. I think you failed to see/feel the levity of my post. My response in principal was serious and to the point despite my attempt at backroom comedy. Just FYI...it tried it!...took me about 3 mins.to tie the knot in my mouth. Just needed some way to tighten it up which gave me problems but I managed that aswell; using my teeth on the tag end and my supposed "good hand" pulling on the hook to draw the knot tight. 5 or 6 minutes to tie a knot for most persons would be unacceptable, though for someone whom is challenged in some respect with regards to that talent...well, It may not be so bad and may be a personal accomplishment.

I'll never "sell short" the profound capabilities of physically/mentally challenged persons...ever! The recent "Paralympics" in London is proof positive.

Okay lady boardmembers...the line-up starts here!!!

Sorry Piker20...but pfffft!

Henry

I am just going to show the pictures. I just tied the fly on the line one handed, to see if it could be done. I am way past my bedtime and ready to sleep! Tomorrow, I will post directions if the pictures aren't clear enough. All you need is a hackle pliers and some patience.

I thought about the mouth thing but not a healthy answer.

Sorry Piker20...but pfffft!

Henry

Sorry, re read my post and I should have been less lazy with my original post. What I was meaning was it is not a very safe thing to be advocating holding hooks in our mouths. A fresh hook out of a packet is fine but anything that has seen water runs the risk of all sort of bacterial illness that can be very dangerous to humans. A Uk rower died in 2010 through this illness. One of the most common world wide is Leptospirosis (more commonly known as Weils disease in UK). It is passed on from contact with water contaminated by rats urine. It passes easily into humans through breaks in the skin, eyes and mucus membranes. So the mouth puts you at real risk.

Sorry. I use my mouth as an extra hand for all sorts of things from holding fishing line to holding screws and nails and would never tell someone with only 1 hand or no hands they can't use it but I would hate someone reading this on the forum to be made seriously ill through something as mundane as a wet hook in their mouth.

More info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

I just tied the fly on the line one handed, to see if it could be done.

show us how to do it "on the stream" or even outside where a fisherman would normally be

The first time I did it, I completed the knot on my pants leg while in a sitting position. It's actually easier if you are standing or kneeling, because the wraps of the cinch knot are completed by swinging the weight of the hackle pliers around the line from the rod. I have video capability on the camera I am using, but I don't have sound or a way to properly "stay in frame".

Here's the step by step with the pictures:

1. I am using braid for visual clarity. With the hook in the pad, or held in place with pliers, thread the line through the eye.

2. Release the hook and grab the tag end of the line with the pliers.

3. Grab the hook with thumb and pointer finger. With middle and ring fingers, make a loop in the line and hold it large enough to pass the pliers through.

4. With the line tight ... I sat on it so it was tight while being straight vertical ... swing the weight of the hackle pliers around the line 6 times.

5. and 6. With your middle and ring fingers, grab thehackle pliers and pull them through the loop, drop the hook to complete thepass.

7. and 8. Admittedly, this was the tricky part, you mighthave to hook the fly to the rod handle or fly pad to get the knot to tighten,but then it's finished.

I hope this makes it easier to understand. I was able to tie the knot a couple of times, just to prove it to myself before I did the pictures. Then I did the pictures on a file folder in my lap. This knot can be done one handed and after acouple of times, it's rather easy to do.

has anybody tried sticking the hook point into the rods cork/rubber grip/handle and then tying a clinch knot?

how about other knots that are needed in fishing? blood knot? surgeons knot? perfection knot? etc

I use a hemostat to tie most of the knots I use. While I have two hands and can't test it, it looks like it would work for one hand and a prosthesis.

Here is a link to youtube that shows how to tie it. It's not the best but...

I've been thinking about this and I agree there are easy knots such as the hemostat quick clinch (half blood knot) which could be tyed using one good hand with the hook held on a sheepskin patch or piece of cork. Moreover, I see no good reason why a simple machine couldn't accomplish the same feat. I will go through my "junk" pile and see if I have the parts needed to build a prototype.