Fly Tying
switch10

What's the secret to taking your water-loving dog fishing??

This is Jolie.

IMG_0582_zpsdb509ee4.jpg

She is a great dog, except when near water, or near squirrels, chipmunks, or basically anything that tries to get away from her. I fish almost everyday, and I feel terrible leaving her at home. I have taken her a total of about 5 times, and she runs around, jumps in the water, thinks my indicator is a toy that needs to be retrieved, etc. I have tried tying her up with a leash, but she cries, barks, and digs holes. I thought if I wear her out with a run before we go, and then when we get to where I fish, let her run around for an hour or so to get it out of her system, but that doesn't work. She still goes crazy, and I don't catch fish...

What can I do to calm this dog down when I'm fishing? Normally, when there are no distractions, she responds very well to her clicker, and treats. I am always jealous of people that can fish with their dog sitting right next to them. There must be some secret that I am missing out on...

Anthropomrphizing ... that's what it's called when we think animals are like us. Anybody who loves their dog or cat like a child is doing it. And I am one of those people, usually. My Wife is worse, and her motto is, "There's no reason to have a pet if you aren't going to spoil it!" But this has it's good side and bad side. The good side, we feel closer to our little four legged people. The bad side, we think they feel the same emotions we do ... they DO NOT!

Well, there are two things from the bad side with your case, Switch.

1. If Jolie isn't tearing up the house when you leave her home, then she's content to have you out of sight and you don't need to "Feel bad" about leaving her home. If she is tearing up the house, then you are not the pack leader and she's letting you know that.

2. If you cannot stop her behavior while stream side, again, you are not the pack leader and she's in control. Dogs are pack animals ... and there WILL be a pack leader in the pack. If it's not you, then it's her ... period. Most people really would benefit from a session or two with a true dog trainer ... one who knows how to train THE OWNER, not the dog. The owner needs to learn how to be the leader of the pack.

Treats and clickers are "conditioning" ... you need to teach her that you are the alpha, then she'll do whatever you want.

i dont mind seeing animals out while im fishing, to me its another part of nature.however i would sugest some obiedience class or clicker training.some people prefer shock treatment..either way the best time to teach is when they are still a pup.

I'm just in the middle of training my lab now, no clicker or collars, etc. I just showed him who is boss and hes good, he runs a little when we start out to stretch and get the adrenalin calmed...just show em you are the alpha is correct.

I have to leave my Pooch (Sam) at home or he retrieves my fish for me.

post-45068-0-22414900-1348694919_thumb.jpg

Dude that is priceless...

I agree with Mikechell, proper understanding of dog behavior and firm but humane training techniques are key. I used to gun for the So. Cal. Retriever Association and learned a great deal about general obedience training from professional trainers and gun dog training publications. You might try and see if there are any sporting dog organizations in your area, they can be a great resource.

BTW, You have a great looking dog.

Rowdy is our Captain, puts us on fish every time. (obligatory pictures)

P1030406.jpg

DSCF4236.jpg

P1020628.jpg

I'd recommend leaving Jolie home. Your fellow anglers will thank you!! :rolleyes:

AMEN to that! If you let your animal ruin your own fishing, that's your business. If you let your animal interfere with someone else, that's entirely different.

My two labs love to swim and they love people. It is for both reasons that they get a long nap in their kennels in the truck while I am fishing! Also, I almost lost a lab on the green when she went into the rapids on the Green River in Utah trying to retrieve a fish I had on. All I could see was a wagging tail at the top of a wave then she would disappear into the trough. My bad for not tying her up, but I thought she was trained, and another reason for long naps in the kennel.

Haha, I'm lucky enough to have a nice, quite area, to take her fishing where we rarely see another person. She is clicker trained, and listens pretty well too when not distracted. I took her fishing yesterday since it has been a bit slow around here lately anyway. It went GREAT actually! She blew up my first spot, with her sprinting in and out of the water, but I kept casting and just ignored her for a bit, she got bored with it. We then moved down stream a ways, and she chilled right out! Sat on the bank and watched me for most of the time. It was actually pretty funny, every hour or so, she would get up and sprint full speed, in this huge loop, and then she would go right back to her spot and lay down.

We caught one fish early on, I let her say hello before I released it, and I think after that, she became a little more interested in what I was doing.

She is so tired today! I can't wait to take her fishing again!

My next dog will be a fishing partner for me, that's for sure! I have no problems with them when I see them out with other fisherman, and cant help but notice how happy they are when they are on boats (most at least)

I always take my Brittany fishing. She does have fun and she is a great companion.

Nice Brittany! Ive had Brittany's my whole life growing up. Been a 1.5 years since our last had to be put down, time to get another!

Chefben mine is two years old. Her name is Hope. You should get another one.

I had another Brittany Maddie. Two years ago we went on vacation in NY. Had a great time night fishing for Browns, day fishing the classics, Beaverkill, Wilowemoc and Neversink. Caught 20 plus inch fish every night. Several 27 inchers. Went to Yankee Stadium, Little Italy and Chinatown. It was a dream vacation. We drove all day eleven hours to get home. Maddie got away from my wife and was hit and killed by a car ten minutes after returning home. Maddie was with us four years and she came to us after I put to sleep a 16 year old Yellow Lab. I did not want another dog in my life. I had a hole in my heart.

Two days later a routine test found I had kidney cancer. Wow what a week.

My wife said I should have another dog, a cancer buddy. I named the new Brittany puppy Hope. They removed a large stage II tumor that month. I have been cancer free for two years.

post-3361-0-44552300-1348834968_thumb.jpg

She goes everywhere with me.

Chefben mine is two years old. Her name is Hope. You should get another one.

I had another Brittany Maddie. Two years ago we went on vacation in NY. Had a great time night fishing for Browns, day fishing the classics, Beaverkill, Wilowemoc and Neversink. Caught 20 plus inch fish every night. Several 27 inchers. Went to Yankee Stadium, Little Italy and Chinatown. It was a dream vacation. We drove all day eleven hours to get home. Maddie got away from my wife and was hit and killed by a car ten minutes after returning home. Maddie was with us four years and she came to us after I put to sleep a 16 year old Yellow Lab. I did not want another dog in my life. I had a hole in my heart.

Two days later a routine test found I had kidney cancer. Wow what a week.

My wife said I should have another dog, a cancer buddy. I named the new Brittany puppy Hope. They removed a large stage II tumor that month. I have been cancer free for two years.

post-3361-0-44552300-1348834968_thumb.jpg

She goes everywhere with me.

What a story troutguy! Glad you are doing good! Hope is a good looking brit. Here is a pic of my last brittany named Murphy. He was my buddy and it was real tough seeing him get old. The pic is when he was in better shape. Its hard seeing dogs age and slow down! His collar still is attached to my night stand. Hope to put it on a new brittany sometime soon.

FacebookHomescreenImage.jpg