Fly Tying
Mike1958

Awesome chironomid vid

The "Broken Back Midge" is a Tom Loe creation out of Sierra Drifters (which is Tom's Guide Service) that is an articulated Midge pattern that has been around for a while and mimics the struggling behavior seen in the above video:

BBMIDGE-1-_zps1490fa6b.jpg

http://sierradrifters.com/fly-sales-new

The first one of these that I saw, close up, was attached to a stick I snagged in this section of the Lower Owens River - back in 2003:

OWENSSCAN-2-3.jpg

It is a VERY productive pattern that finds use in still and running waters in the Eastern Sierras...which reminds me that I also need to tie some of these up after I finish my Baetis :lol:

PT/TB

I'm thinking of a new pattern even as I type ... Is there a common name for a "chironomid"? It looked like a mosquito when it popped out. How large is this bug?

I'm thinking of a new pattern even as I type ... Is there a common name for a "chironomid"? It looked like a mosquito when it popped out. How large is this bug?

Sizes 12 to 16 are the commonest sizes, but it really depends on the local environment to best match the hatch... just after ice out.

Credit for the images goes to flyguys.

post-29536-0-04796300-1348953869_thumb.jpg

post-29536-0-04460500-1348954021_thumb.jpg

Midges or chironomids are of the order Diptera:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/55

They are probably THE most common insect found in the biomass of still and moving waters and are taken by Trout - year round. The larger species are found in still waters. This is the definitive book (of interest to those of us that pursue fish with a fly) on the subject,in terms of patterns to date:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Midges-Fishing-Effective-Patterns/dp/1934753009

To learn how to present and fish them properly takes a whole lot of time on the H20.

I have more of these patterns in my boxes than any other...

PT/TB ;)

couple of flies trying to get the dancing tail without the thickness of rubber or similar. Next attempt will include a hackle stem or similar to give a little more body to the tail. And tie down tighter round the bend.

post-42518-0-15428100-1349028964_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-59839600-1349028981_thumb.jpg

They look just like a mosquito when they pop out. There is a lake near me that has clouds of adult chironomids swarming around every morning. I love watching people sprinting back to their cars, waving their arms to escape all the "mosquito's" ;).

Yeah, sounds like Lake Monroe, north of Sanford. The clouds of chironomids is like a fog some days. They put floating spotlights out on the lake to attempt to lure them away from Sanford. I don't think it worked.