Fly Tying
fishyfranky

Wavey blondish red hair from sister in law

As a funny stocking stuffer for me, my sister in law saved some of her hair from her last cut. I'm trying to think of a suitable pattern for it. Almost as bad as the patch of red deer hair my wife gave me for valentines day.

What to do? rolleyes.gif

Depends on if you like her or not:). I would like to stick my sister in laws hair in the river but with it still attached to her head.

Seriously, I think it does not float well. Maybe add it to some possum for some really spiky nymphs?

T

I have to admit, I have thought about using my own hair (brown) to work up a few nymphs. I just never seem to remember to bring along a baggie with me at cutting time. cursing.gif

I say nymphs sound like the best bet also. A twist on a golden stone fly maybe?

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Just for future reference.....the first time one of you sonsabitches posts a fly containing pubic hair or hair from your nose..I'm outa here ! laugh.gif

Please, no Vangoh flys. blink.gif

I can see it already. *The armpit deciever

* The butt crack scud

* The beadhead chest hair pupa

* The eyelash midge

* The dingle-berry comparadun

Yikes !

My Wife saved some hair for me a while back to tie up some flies with, but it wasn't great to tie with. On a side note, I believe it was one of the members of this forum that had a link to a small bag of red pubic hair up for auction on Ebay UK a while back. I didn't see who won it, or what it went for.

One of the members of our club did a demo, and when he ran out of polar bear, he calmly clipped off a small clump of his snow white beard to use in his streamer pattern.

* The butt crack scud
* The eyelash midge

headbang.gif Awsome.

I have a reddish blonde huge beard and have been trimming it for flies for some time. You should see some "experts" eyeball the flys, when they finaly break down and say what is this material. I just rub my beard a bit and say, not sure cant remeber. I usually use it for trailing shucks, and tails on nymphs. I sent some flies out west a few years ago to an outfiter, he said they worked best of all. I still havent told him what it is, Ive heard its driving him nuts.

You will have to tell your sister in law that here hair is the best while yeilding a pair of clippers! lol.gif

* The butt crack scud

* The eyelash midge

Sounds like some great ideas! thumbsup.gif I have seen a few eyebrows in my travels that might work also as bodies, maybe an eyebrow trico?

You have to admit, the resourcefulness of flytiers seems to be never ending!

I've never used my own hair but if one of my cats is bugging me emough I clip off a chunk of there hair and tie a special fly. I have orange, grey , beige, black, white and white tipped with black hair running around my house at all times!

A friend of mine went on a bachelor party fishing trip, backpacking in the Sierras. For the Groom, he decided to tie a "special" fly. With great pain to himself, he plucked a sizeable patch from his butthair, and created the "Bachelor Fly" nymph.

He claims he will never forget the sight of his friend holding the fly in his lips as he prepared to tie it on. Later, around the campfire, he let the secret out. Probably a good thing there were a few flasks being passed around...he took it fairly well.

Apparently, butthair requires LOTS of dubbing wax!

Kool! The next time I get a brazillian wax job, I'll ask for the wax strips with my hairs! Till then, I still need a baby sitter so I'll make a pretty streamer with my sister in-law's hair wink.gif