Fly Tying
breambuster

October Bluegill Swap Club

Got my Carrot Nymphs out this morning. Meant to do it Monday, but then life happened. Anyway, they're on their way. BB, I put a few extra stamps in my tin just in case I didn't put enough on the package. :rolleyes: Wish I had gotten a picture of all of them before I sent them out - I can't find my camera anywhere. <_<

A set of gummy nymphs went in the mail on Friday. It is a simple productive pattern that I've been using for panfish, and surprisingly has hooked a few trout (I was desperate that day:). I tie these with either spanflex or baby bug wrap (Flytyers Dungeon) and just about any color seems to work fine. The original pattern used a rabbit fur collar. A few months ago I got a sample of FTD's Sea Dragon Dubbing and I really like it for this pattern. The rubber bits mixed in seem to be very popular with the 'gills.

Gummy Nymph

Hook: #12 standard dry fly

Tail: Green baby bug wrap

Body: Green baby bug wrap twisted

Head/collar: Sunburst yellow sea dragon dubbing

Hello folks...After a slow start at getting back into tying I have some CVC Nymphs to send. It seems that after a year away from the vise I'm having a hard time getting things right.

I have left the legs long so you can cut them back to your liking. Around here longer legs work better in the lakes and shorter in the river

Worst case is I'll compete with Riff and you will have a Daiichi 2421 #8 with a beadhead.

Thanks Yetavon, I'll watch for your flies and let you know when they arrive. In the meantime, we received a set of poppers from Riff for November that are absolutely out of this world. Riff, you and I are going to have to have a LONG talk about these. Fantastic job! We also received flies from Ristarwen - WOO - HOO. Extremely nice set. Solid addition to the swap club, for sure. Another set from Frequent Tyer, that is absolutely up to his usual great work. And also a set from Fshrmanms. (Has someone been Turkey Hunting?) Thanks, so much. Terrific set of flies, as always. This is going to be another outstanding month of swap flies. You guys are all doing outstanding work.

Take Care

BB

BB when I send in your October flies from my swap club I will send you a template to cut the bodies for the gill sized crease fly its such an effective fly pattern for almost any fish I have them from a size 8 for gills up to a 4/0 for pike all you need is some tailing material and 2mm closed cell craft foam of your choice of color

Thanks, Riff. I've heard of it, but I've never seen it. I'll see if I can find a YouTube video for a "Crease" Fly. I had no idea that it was just regular craft foam. Those are really neat!

BB

We received a very nice set of nymphs today from Dreamcaster. I REALLY like these. It's called a "Disco Nymph." I can imagine the 'gills fighting each other for the privilege of getting hooked by these! This is a pattern that I MUST learn, and soon!

Today is the deadline and we have 3 sets out. One set, at least, is in the mail and I expect the other two sets right away. I'm wondering if the storm has anything to do with it. At any rate, when the other 3 sets arrive, I'll divide them up and get them back to you all as soon as possible.

Take care

BB

Mine where mailed from Boiling Springs SC yesterday and the lady said they would head to Greenville 1st. I feared the would go to Asheville and the snow.

Thought about rerouting my trip to or from the Lynches and drop them off in person....

It would have been fine if you had dropped by. It would be nice to meet you in person. But the mail will work also. I was gone most of the day yesterday. Got home between 3:30 & 4 after spending the day in Rock Hill, Lancaster & Richburg. Hope you had a good day fishing and didn't get too cold in all this wind!

The flies should be here in a day or two and I'll let you know when they arrive.

BB

BTW, there is a nice sporting goods store near Boiling Springs. It called "Carolina Sportsman" or something like that. I used to get by there occasionally when I lived in Woodruff. Do you know where I'm talking about?