Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

OCTOBER Flies

That's a pretty cool looking set-up there, Crackaig. Just wondering if the hook will ride point up, which would be great, then the bottom fry will be upside down. Can you tie the bottom fry with the peacock on top, like the upper fry? I am waiting to see an SBS on this one .... please.

Well done Mike you spotted the deliberate mistake!

You could weight the head of the first minnow you tie to ensure it is the right way up.

There's a SBS here

Cheers,

C.

Deliberate ... you want one of them riding upside down? Or just on the "prototype" will it be this way?

Anyway ... I like the SBS. I have not acquired the UV resin yet, but this pattern is probably the straw that'll make me get some.

Thank you.

Messing about with a soft plastic worm hook.

DblMinow_0010_zpsc8c1e292.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Wow! Nicely done! Is that just some deer hear, hackle and peacock herl? What size hook?

Its a Gamakatsu Soft Plastic Worm Hook size 1/0 (Wish I could get them smaller) Here's the recipe from the step by step

Hook: Gamakatsu 58311 size 1/0

Thread: Strong White. (I've used UTC140)

Lateral Line: Two Grizzle saddle hackles (Use the steeply tapering ones that are not so useful for your dry flies)

Back:Peacock herl or long sward fibers

Flash: Krystal Flash UV

Body: White buck tail

Head: UV resin & Stick on eyes.

The UV resin I use and recommend is Diamond Hard and Diamond Fine from Deer Creek with their UV laser to set it off. Here this kit is cheaper than many and is the only one I've found that sets hard, not leaving a tacky film you have to remove. It is also the fastest setting one. About a 1 second zap will set it!

Cheers,

C.

Great Crackaig! Gives me an idea to articulate a third streamer off the hook bend...thus creating a type of "Alabam rig w/flies". Work in progress...Later DL

DSCF0133_A_Small.jpg

The body looks great wet, Are they little mono eyes you've added? Like the look of those.

I'm waiting on some new boxes from Green Caddis outfitters and then I'll spend the off season tying plenty of nymphs, buzzers and skinny wets.

The body looks great wet, Are they little mono eyes you've added? Like the look of those.

I'm waiting on some new boxes from Green Caddis outfitters and then I'll spend the off season tying plenty of nymphs, buzzers and skinny wets.

The eyes are 1X tippet.

I'm not tying at a very quick pace right now. I did a black/purple Rattlesnake variant on Saturday morning:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

This was after field testing with the white/gray version earlier in this thread. It picked up 4 bass from a public pond on a very short, very chilly Ohio morning:

IMGP4024.jpg

Two - tube ( calf tail and deer hair)

Twotube003.jpg

Tube: 2'' Drink box Straw

Butt: Orange Surveyor's Line (Dollar Store) 1 separated section

Tail: Calf Tail stacked

Body: Santa's Beard (see pic below)

Collar: Deer Hair

Head: Deer Hair

Thread: 6/0 Black Flymaster

Santa's Beard

Twotube004.jpg

He hangs above my head and loses pieces of his beard periodically... :lol:

Murray

Santa's Beard

Twotube004.jpg

He hangs above my head and loses pieces of his beard periodically... :lol:

Murray[/font][/size][/color]

Great fly but you must get some funny looks with him hanging about!