Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lostman

thread for spinning deer hair

i have made a couple attempts before that turned out not bad b ut i was just wondering what kind of thread everyone uses?

i've heard that kevlar works very well just figured i'd ask before i go pick some more supplies up since it's a bit of a drive for me

GSP don't get kevlar it just cuts through the hair

thank you very much for the reply

otherwise i was leaning towards kevlar, what do you prefer?

I second the motion, use GSP, kevlar is nice for vests but not so great for deer hair. If you do use it and manage to not destroy most of your deer hair, then you have the problem of cutting it. I think it will wipe out you scissors and you almost need a machette to get it free from your fly.

I've used uni big fly. Depends on how large your hook is. The gsp will probably look better on smaller hooks. And having one of Riffs deer hair flies I have to say follow his advice. His fly looks great.

I use Power-Pro braid fishing line. I've got one spool with 15# test (4# diameter) and one spool of 10# test (2# diameter). I like the braid because I am cheap and I already had some on hand.

I use Power-Pro braid fishing line. I've got one spool with 15# test (4# diameter) and one spool of 10# test (2# diameter). I like the braid because I am cheap and I already had some on hand.

its definitely a good idea the only thing is the colour but in most cases it doesn't make a big difference. thats what i did my first couple with some extra 8 pound braid i had laying around and it worked great the only thing is all my rods and stuff with braid are out at the cabin

Chris Helm recommended GSP to me many years ago, and even sent me a spool of it. But, I've used Danville Flat Nylon for as long as I've been tying & have stuck to using it. I tried the GSP & it's good thread, but was just a bit too slippery for me, and a bit more pricey.

Texas FlyFishers (TFF) (NO, NOT a typo!!) of Houston, Texas has used Danville Flat Waxed Nylon or Danville Flymaster (both 210 Denier) in it's fly tying course for at least 20 years, and literally hundreds of students have tied deer hair bugs with it, with no problems whatsoever. We will be using it again this year!

Cheers!

Frank,

Education Director, TFF

Hi guys,

Gretchen & I use Danville single strand floss (210 denier) on flies size 8 and larger, #10 to #14 we used Danville Fly Master (140 denier) and #16 to #22 we use Danvise Fly Master (70 denier). Also, we've found if we are short on large thread then we use the standard Danville 70 denier on any size and just put smaller bundles of hair on the hook for each "spin." Take care & ...

:unsure: All I use is my standard threads....Danville Flymaster 6/0 and UNI 6/0. I won't go any smaller than that because I break it too often. Not that I don't break these but I tend to be careful enough it isn't too re-occuring....

Murray

as long as you're talking about spinning and stacking deer hair for things like what we call deer hair bass bugs, GSP really has no equal. For things like elk (deer) hair caddis, or small muddler heads, then any regular tying thread is fine. For smallish flies and small bunches of hair, anything will work. I learned to spin and stack deer hair with 3/0 monocord nylon 30 some years ago, and have used all the other threads mentioned. Once I learned how to use GSP, the advantages were so clear that there were no longer any reasons to use anything else.

Yes people have been tying deer hair bugs with nylon thread for 50 or 60 years and it works. People also have been riding horses as transportation and wearing oiled deer skins as raingear too. Today we have cars and gore-tex... and GSP thread.

As previously mentioned, Kevlar thread is not the answer for working with deer hair. It is abrasive and cuts the hair much too easily.