Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Fishing Idaho

How Do I start stocking up on gear?

So I started a couple of months ago and I have a nice 5wt rod and reel with some good backing and line. I have 5X and 6X tippet. I need to figure out how to make enough money to get things like float tubes, waders, and just stock up on lots of stuff. I'm also too youn to get a job...:(. I dont tie a lot of flies so thats not an option. Also I need a list of things to get such as the type and quantity of flies, some good stockingfoot waders, a float tube, and all the other essentials. I live in Idaho and mostly fish for trout. I'm almost always fishing streams and rivers.

Maybe youre trying to make this more complicated than it has to be...depending on your age, how about asking people in your neighborhood if they need their lawns mowed ? cars washed, leaves raked, sidewalks shoveled, etc...it may not seem like a whole lot but since you say you are too young to have a job and your intentions seem to be good then Id say ask around, ask your parents.

Would they be open to giving you a couple bucks for some household chores that arent usually up to you ?

You'd be surprised at how fast a couple 5 dollar bills turns into a tidy little stack that will buy you fishing gear that will provide you with years of enjoyment.

Start watching for closeouts starting in the fall through the winter. Take fdfretes advice for picking up a few bucks, and then keep an eye out for some good deals.

I am 53, and I still don't have a large "stockpile" of stuff. With the exception of my fly tying equipment and my boat, everything I own for fishing fits in my van. My 14 foot jon-boat and 15hp outboard get me to all the fish I can handle. (In Florida you need a boat, wading isn't very easy with mud bottomed shallow lakes, weed lined ponds and alligators.)

Keep your fishing simple. If you're fishing streams and rivers you can wade, then all you need is a pair of chest waders. Get a light pair, slightly larger than you are. During colder months, layer sweats and "long-johns" under the waders for warmth. In the cool times, just a pair of pants to keep the waders from chafing. In the middle of summer, no waders, just a pair of shoes and shorts ... the water's cold, but you can always get out to warm up.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in California. I was fishing a river east of Sacramento and was wading. The only mistake I made was not have a pair of wading shoes. The water was cold, but I was working hard enough to keep warm. But my feet were so cold I could have sliced myself open on a clam or glass and not known.

Building up a garage full of equipment isn't necessary to enjoying fishing.

you're never too young to get a job. Raking leaves, shoveling snow, cutting grass, all things I did as a kid to earn a little money. Hell I know if you came to my house in the fall to rake leaves, I'd pay you very well! (you'd work your a$$ off too, but that's part of life, as we used to know it...... )

If you are almost always fishing rivers and streams, then a float tube most likely isn't "essential".

I'll tell you this- if you love fishing as a kid, and you learn to overcome challenges on the water with a limited selection of gear, then when you are old enough and have earned enough to buy lots of gear, you will be far far ahead of the game compared to other people. You will also KNOW without a doubt that fancy equipment isn't ever going to be the key to catching fish and having fun.

Like they say, "Beware the man who owns only one gun, because he knows how to use it!"