Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Fishing Idaho

Tips For Silver Creek, Idaho?

So I'm what you would call a rookie-semi-pro fly fisherman. I thought I was ready for Silver Creek. There's a reason I'm asking this question. In case you don't know what creek I'm talking about, Its known for its Drake hatch and its near Picabo,ID. I was there during the Midge/Baetis/Mahogany Dun hatch. I was using a 6X and I have no idea what I was doing wrong. If you need more info that just ank and I'll put in a reply.

I've fished Silver Creek a bunch of times, (although never in October) and it can be a tough proposition. I've actually done very well with a #20 mosquito when everybody else was trying to get an exact match on the hatch. A very fine tippet is a must though - you'll probably want to go lighter than 6X - those fish see a lot of fishermen and they're wary. One thing that's often overlooked about Silver Creek is that there are some enormous brown trout that go on the prowl at night, and they don't sip bugs. A guy I know actually had one swallow a 14-inch rainbow that he was in the process of landing. He had him on for a while, but the fish wasn't hooked, so eventually, he let go. Big streamers like Lefty's deceivers after sundown would be the ticket there. There are also some big browns in the Little Wood River, (or at least there were 20 years ago) although it seemed like every time I fished there, a storm blew up and there was no protection from the wind. (plenty of rattlers though :blink: ) I was living in Boise at the time, so it was a pretty good haul to get up there, but if you live in the area, you're a lucky guy. Just keep at it, and you'll find the keys. Be sure to let us know how you do.