Fly Tying
Chris H

How do you organize your flies!

Crackaig ... your friend obviously has no cats. If I tried to lay out my lures or flies on a table like that, I'd have a cat or three running around with hooks in their paws.

Crackaig ... your friend obviously has no cats. If I tried to lay out my lures or flies on a table like that, I'd have a cat or three running around with hooks in their paws.

Makes it really interesting trying to tie also, had that experience today with the youngest, she wanted my ginger cape in a bad way. Not willing to give those up for cat toys.

Blane

So for Christmas Santa, I will take every fly listed in this thread, and I MIGHT ... just might, Have enough flies to last me a while haha

I don't. :)

OK, that's a lie...I try to organize in different ways, but things always get mixed in my warmwater boxes. The coldwater stuff is easier. That I have: one large nymph box, a few small dry fly boxes, box with streamers/buggers, and a midge box. My steelhead flies are pretty much down to two boxes, one with steelhead alley-specific patterns, the other with streamers. My warmwater stuff, well, complicated: several streamer boxes, a streamer wallet, a couple of carp boxes, a couple of topwater boxes, and some miscellaneous.

I was looking for a solution similar to the Oasis hook tower. I found these 21 compartment bead boxes (everything Mary) in the craft section of WM super center for $4.97. I intend to build a tower for them, but haven't sorted the flies to my liking yet. I have a total of 8 boxes on hand, but hope to use only 6.

post-56307-0-14897800-1580315819_thumb.jpg

T-

A member since 2015, just now making your first post, by reviving a 7 1/2 year old thread?!?

Not sure if I should say "welcome to the forum" after five years, but it *is* your first post, so.... Welcome! :-)

Chris I would suggest a place to start fly organization is species then sub divided by the type of fly. 95% of my fishing is for trout while wading rivers. The flies in my vest are organized by type, dries, nymphs, soft hackles, winged wets and streamers. Size 20's or smaller go into a separate magnetic flat box and the compartments in that box are organized into dries and subsurface. I suppose if your tying hundreds or more flies per year and targeting numerous species in fresh and salt water then it would make sense to further sub divide them. Some tiers have boxes organized by size, weight, color or season.

I generally organize my flies by stream. I fish most of the time with a Richardson chest box and it's geared for the streams near where I live and fish most of the time.

For streams out of State or streams I don't often fish I generally tailor a separate box for each of those streams based on what worked....but I always have my Chest box so if I forget the tailor-made box I can still dial-in something for the fish.