Fly Tying
Chris H

Common Hook Sizes?

Hey all!

Just wondering if there tends to be some pretty popular hook sizes for the listed hook styles below...

nymph 1x and 2x

streamer 3x hooks

scud hooks

and dry hooks

just wondering if say 12-16 are common or if there really isn't a common size(s) in each category of hooks

I would agree with RRSHS but find if I'm fishing wet flies without a hatch to work with, my go to sizes tend to be 14 or 12.

Sunfish and bass patterns here in Florida ... Everything I tie goes on an #8 or larger popper or straight shank. Sometimes I use extra long shanks. The only pattern exception are the scuds and grass shrimp, on which I use a #12 scud hook. I know that doesn't really go for the patterns you asked about ... but I am bored and just had to answer.

...ask 20 people,... get 30 answers....

Generally speaking, though:

nymph 1x and 2x -- 12 to 16

streamer 3x hooks -- 4 & 6

scud hooks/emerger hooks -- 18 to 22 (emerger hooks are light wire)

and dry hooks -- 12 to 18 (recently, 14's and 16's have been most productive).

...but it all depends on the time of year, the stream and what insects are active.

Oddly enough, I've probably used more size 10 Mustad 9671's than any other hook, and the ways I use it don't really fit the above categories.

That said, I am constantly picking up new hooks in new configurations. Getting the perfect hook for each fly pattern has become a passion. I've got thousands of hooks, and I'm still looking.

Everything here in the mountains tends to be a bit smaller than everywhere else.

I tie the majority of my nymphs on size 14-20, dry's on 12-22, streamers 10-14, scud/midges 16-20

The full range of fly tying hooks extends from size 32 (smallest,) to size 12/0 (largest.) There may be smaller or larger, but they are not common. These are numbered in a continuous run of sizes, but fortunately, any given hook model will only be available in either odd or even numbered sizes. If a hook model comes in a size 10, then the other sizes will all be even, and if a certian other model comes in a size 9 then the other sizes of that hook would be odd numbers. There are some few models that will come in even and odd sizes, but usually only between the size 2 and 1. If these hooks are available in the ought sizes, they usually come in each ought. An example being the Mustad 3366 wich comes in size 4, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, ect. Most hook sizes are a measurment from the shank down to the point. The sizes will not always be consistant between different manufacturers or sometimes different models within the same maker.

In addition to hook size one must also consider other things, like shank length, shank shape, wire weight, hook bend, point shape, finish, and eye configuration.

In general, dry fly hooks are either standard weight (STD) or extra fine (1XF or 3XF.) Nymph and streamer hooks are usually on heavier wire 1 to 4XH (extra heavy,) are common. Any given model will have the same specifications. Not all models are available in all sizes, there are some hooks that come in as few as 4 sizes only.

The most common size sold in a standard dry fly is a 14, and a range from 12 to 18 is a basic range.

For midges, you would start at 18, and work down to 24. Use a light wire or standard hook with a straigh eye.

Nymphs on a 1xl hook in size 12 to 18. Again size 14 is most common.

Nymphs on a 2xl hook (good for bead heads,) in size 8 to 16.

Nymphs on a 3xl I like a natural bend shape on this hook like the Tiemco 200R. This hook is good for large drys like the Stimulator and for a lot of nymphs. If I could have ONLY one hook this would be it. These come in sizes from size 2 or 4 (differs by maker,) all the way to size 22. Size 8 to 18 would be a good beginning.

Streamers are most often tied on a 4 or 5xl shank in sizes 4 to 10. If you fish big streamers a size 1 or 2 would be added.

Scud hooks with a continuous bend are very usefull, and many kinds of patterns can be tied on them. These are some of my favorite hooks and I find both the standard wire, and heavier wire models usefull. I tie emergers in size 10 to 18 on the light wire models, and scuds and other nymphs from size 8 to 16. I also tie midge larvae and pupae on these same hooks. The Midges require a size range from 10 to 24.

Form your first post, it looks like your fishing for trout and other cold water fish. The above listed model types should do for normal trout fishing.

If you looking for the Up eye hooks, and there the sizes run from a size 8 to 6/0 with the 2, 1, 1/0, and 2,0 the middle of that range.

No wonder that my hook inventory includes over 15,000 hooks.

NO ONE needs that many, but I tied all kinds of different kinds of flies for all different places and many different customers over the years. Most of my inventory never gets touched these days, and it as slowly dwindled from 25,000. I still buy about 3000 hooks a year.

If all goes well, I will be rebuilding my inventory of Salt Water Hook models shortly, and that will open a whole new can of hooks.

Nymphs on a 3xl I like a natural bend shape on this hook like the Tiemco 200R. This hook is good for large drys like the Stimulator and for a lot of nymphs. If I could have ONLY one hook this would be it. These come in sizes from size 2 or 4 (differs by maker,) all the way to size 22. Size 8 to 18 would be a good beginning.

I just received some hooks from Allen fly which I thought looked very nymphy and comparing them to a google pic of the Tiemco 200R they are very similar/identical. I'm looking forward to how my nymphs and emergers turn out on them for next spring. Like you say, they have that natural curve to the hook.