Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

vise extension

I have been interested in possibly buying one of the vise extensions in the near future and just thought I would ask for some comments if anyone uses them. It seems like a good idea to clamp it onto your desk and then attach your vise to it and swing it out to a more comfortable position instead of leaning over your desk or bench for hours at a time. I am just curious if you are chasing the fly while you are working on it because the extension is wobbling up and down on you or if its fairly sturdy. After countless motorcycle crashes and a bad fall while climbing when I was younger ( I got in a bad position and couldn't take up the slack and when I slipped and I fell about fourty feet before the rope saved me with a very abrupt stop) my back really hurts after an hour or so at the vise and hope that this may be a good solution. Take Care and forgive me for rambling on....

How wobbly it is will depend on how solid your mounting is. If you are using a pedestal base I would expect it to wobble too much to be comfortable honestly but if you are clamping it to your desk and both the desk and the clamp are fairly sturdy it shouldnt wobble too much, not in theory anyways.

fdfretes, thanks for putting a picture on here. That is exactly what I have been looking at and planned to clamp it to my desk. That is a better image than the one I have been looking at and I think you are right about it being reasonably sturdy. Thanks again and Take Care...

Looking at the picture, may be a dumb question but that appears to just bring the vice away from your desk. How does that affect your tying position? Your sitting the same but your chairs pushed back further making reaching for materials etc awkward? Would you not be better with a riser to lift the stem height or a more flexible chair?

The way I see it, when im sitting in my chair I am always leaning forwards to tie flies. having this would help bring the flies closer to him and maybe let his back rest on the chair itself making it more comfortable due to the injury ? I could definitely see this preventing excessive bending over...whatever keeps the back pain-free and keeps you tying flies!

I use a c clamp vise.and I'm not leaning forward to tie,I sit as close as possible and comfortable

For me a vice extension is essential. I have used one for many years. A good one is rock solid. There is a problem though. Its not with the vice extension, but the way people use them. Almost everyone uses them upside down! The above photo being an example.

If you experience pain while tying it is a sign that your tying position is wrong. If you hold up your arms for a length of time something will begin to hurt. In most cases the problem is solved by lowering the vice. This is why I don't use pedestal vices any more. The lower limit for a pedestal is table height plus vice height. As you need to put your knees under the table you can't use a low table. If you shorten the shaft of the vice then there is not enough room to work around the vice.

The vice extension should be inserted into the clamp from below so it forms an "L" shape This will throw the vice away from the table giving you access and let you position your vice around the height of your table top. I first saw this in Chris Helm's vice set up. When I got my vice Lawrence Waldren agreed that this is the correct set up. Both people who understand a thing or two about tying and vices.

A rule of thumb for setting your vice height so you tie in a relaxed position is to make a fist and place it under your chin. If you place the vice jaws at the height of your elbow you'll be tying in a relaxed position.

Many people have trouble seeing the fly in this position. If you do get someone to measure from the bridge of your nose to the vice jaws. Then get your optician to make you reading glasses with the focus set to that distance. It can be 50% different to your normal reading position. This difference makes normal reading glasses useless. I've just reached an age where this is becoming necessary for me (old age and infirmity are just around the corner).

It may take you a while to get used to this new position. If tying doesn't hurt you'll do it more, and your tying will improve.

Go for it.

Cheers,

C.

Looks like a neat concept. I could tie from my recliner with that set up. I agree that holding your arms out to do anything is going to eventually make you sore. I have back problems as well so I can understand where you are comming from. I also just switched to a pedistal mounted vice with my first rotary. I had the choice of c-clamp or ped and wanted the ped. Mainly because I can move the vice back over the table better...sit straighter..and when I drop something, which is inevitable, it is more likely to land on the table top rather than on the floor. I have noticed I am more comfortable and can tie longer with the new vice. But I still get a sore back after a while. I just accept that it is going to happen and take frequent breaks.

Chuck

The lap extension shown in this post is a renzette and cost more than most vices so keep that in mind. I thing Chris Helms uses a Barracuda mode?

I have used the renzette for years and it allows me to tye pain free

Chris was using a Dyna-King one when I last saw him.

This isn't my current set up but one of the ones I used previously with a Barracuda Trekka, it shows the set up though.

Vice.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Cheers,

C.

Unfamiliar with the performance of the Renzetti one in the first photos, but the Dyna King extension arm (above) is rock solid when used with a clamp.

I have a Dyana-King extension and i love it. I set it up ,it stays where I put it. When I tied for a lodge up North my shoulders got very sore after tying for a long time. I have my vise set waist high, it works perfectly. The sore shoulder is gone. I am now tying with a Renzetti vise a Dyana-King extension and a Griffin trash bag. Works good... :D

Thanks for all the advice, Im convinced that I have to have one. streamcaddis, your set up sounds like a street rod I used to have: a Ford body, a Chevy engine and a Buick suspension, but put it all together and it works like a charm. Thanks everyone, and Take Care...