Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dawgvet

Favorite Emerger patterns: caddis or mayfly

After a recent trip fishing over selective fish, I'm thinking I need to start fishing more emergers. What are your favorite emerger patterns for either caddis or mayflies? Fish them in the film or just below surface? Recipes are great but with just a name I can look up how to tie it.

Thanks

Jed Green

My best producing emerger is a pattern given to me by Mas Okui, an 80 something yr old gentleman known as "The Master of Hot Creek". It is tied with Elk Hair, the tips pointing over the eye of the hook. the body can be either dubbing of choice/color or biot, color to match. When I tie it with a biot, I like to use a bit of CDC dubbing as a collar. NO TAIL, with a tail, I find the fly will sometimes lay on it's side, without, it ride with it's butt down in the water. Apply floatant to the Elk Hair only. I don't have a picture of one butsomethin similar would be http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=144, just substitute Elk Hair for the CDC.

For Bwo emergers i really like a size 18 or 20 curved caddis hook with microfibbet tails, olive beaver dubbing, and a blue dun cdc puff comming out from just behind the hook eye. I tie this with the puff sticking up and facing away from the hook. They work well, and muskrat fur can be used as a substitue for cdc.

Hands down for Mayflies...Tracy Petersen's "Bat Wing" Emerger...change the color of the body and the wing and it may be adapted to match almost any Mayfly...Here is a variant for Fall BWO/BAETIS:

SBWE-1-_zpsc7fc4f88.jpg

SAPHIRE BAT WING EMERGER – BWO/GRAY…Tracy Petersen/Variant…

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, TMC 2487, #18 – #22

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Gray

TAIL: Mallard Flank Natural (darker fibers)

ABDOMEN: Working thread

RIB: Micro Flashabou, Pearl – coat abdomen with S.H.A.N or hard as Hull after ribbing

WING CASE: 6-8 strands of Royal Blue Krystal Flash – coat with UV Knotsense, Clear Goo or 5 min. Epoxy after pulling over wing

WING: Fluffy fibers at the base of a Dun Hen Neck feather – tied in convex side up

THORAX: Nature’s Spirit Emergence Dubbing, Trilobal Antron, # 16. Muskrat Gray

SBWE-2-_zps5170aa46.jpg

It may be fished from the bottom of the water column to just under the surface film...

PT/TB ;)

I like to fish in the film when baetis species are out. I've found caddis swim quickly up and crawl out to emerge. So I fish a nymph with quick pulls to mimick that or just fish a dry fly to mimick the adult caddis. I haven't found a fly sitting in the film as effective in a caddis hatch.

After a recent trip fishing over selective fish, I'm thinking I need to start fishing more emergers. What are your favorite emerger patterns for either caddis or mayflies? Fish them in the film or just below surface? Recipes are great but with just a name I can look up how to tie it.

Thanks

Jed Green

The Quigley Cripple!

My best producing emerger is a pattern given to me by Mas Okui, an 80 something yr old gentleman known as "The Master of Hot Creek". It is tied with Elk Hair, the tips pointing over the eye of the hook. the body can be either dubbing of choice/color or biot, color to match. When I tie it with a biot, I like to use a bit of CDC dubbing as a collar. NO TAIL, with a tail, I find the fly will sometimes lay on it's side, without, it ride with it's butt down in the water. Apply floatant to the Elk Hair only. I don't have a picture of one butsomethin similar would be http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=144, just substitute Elk Hair for the CDC.

Sounds a bit like Bob Wyatt's Deer Hair Emerger

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/101804fotw.php

Close, but the tips of the Elk Hair stick out over the eye of the hook, even more so than in pic # 1. Also Elk is a better floater which translates to using less & shorter. I use bleached Elk, easier to see on the water. I tie them from 16 (PMD) down to 20.

Close, but the tips of the Elk Hair stick out over the eye of the hook, even more so than in pic # 1. Also Elk is a better floater which translates to using less & shorter. I use bleached Elk, easier to see on the water. I tie them from 16 (PMD) down to 20.

Curious, is it tied with the hair all the way around the hook like a Tenkara style fly? Something like what Davie McPhail tries here:

To the OP, can't go wrong with the Quigley Cripple & the E/C Caddis.

Curious, is it tied with the hair all the way around the hook like a Tenkara style fly? Something like what Davie McPhail tries here:

To the OP, can't go wrong with the Quigley Cripple & the E/C Caddis.

No, Elk only on top.

For caddis, I like Craig Mathews Iris Caddis

IMG_9549spl.jpg

Walt Weise's variation, the Clacka Caddis

IMG_9520.jpg

and Hans' CDC & Elk

IMG_9522.jpg

Regards,

Scott