Fly Tying
Piker20

SPRING SALMON FLIES

I take it from your response to 176319 that they do not have to be tube.... :unsure: ....I'll try a tube but not having tied very many it won't be a Davie McPhail quality. Now a regular old salmon fly ...maybe so...

Murray

(Guess I should have read the description a little more carefully huh?)

No problem, it does not have to be a tube fly. It can be any fly used for salmon or steelhead but aimed at spring fish, so typically the flies are bigger and or a different colours to flies aimed at summer fish. Yellow and orange and green and blue feature here but black works too. I'm hoping to see a taste of America/Canada in what arrives.

Ok. I think I've found my pattern. There will be some experimentation And no doubt a few failures.

The pattern is called the Grant Smelt. Its an early season tie suited to dirty water, usually tied on a size 12 hook I'll be upping it to a size 6.

According to my source it is best fished down and across in medium to slow water with a figure 8 retrieve.

I hope I do it justice.

Alrighty! Look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with, off to the bench to wizz up a few articulated beasties. The spring steelhead won't stand a chance.

smelt patterns work great and have for a long time ever here of Carrie Stevens they were tied to mimic smelt for land locked salmon I fish steelhead and lake browns in the surf where they are staging to come upstream with smelt patterns with great success they gorge themselves on them small fries before heading upstream

Thanks guys.

Materials have been ordered.... Should be in my sweaty little hands by the end of the week.

I tyed some of my Red Head Cattails- in size six. Hay piker, can i send them in early so I don't lose em. PM me.

I would think that will be great. Don't think you need to tie a snake, but the collie dog, monkey and sunray shadow are all very good, long salmon flies. And for seatrout that style works great.

Materials arrived.... Well, minus some yellow rabbit fur :(

Now if only that reel would show up

No honestly, you don't have to include a free reel with your flies. You insist? Oh ok then.

Just FYI,... I have a guided trip in a couple of weeks, so steelhead / salmon ties have dropped on my priorities. Will be tying up some 3/0 and 6/0 Deceivers and whistlers instead to throw at Darwin based Threadfin salmon, Barramundi and Queenfish (and maybe a few foam ties for Saratoga).

Don't stress I'll still get these to ya.... Hopefully with time to spare :P

No honestly, you don't have to include a free reel with your flies. You insist? Oh ok then.

Baaa!! It arrived yesterday actually.... A beautiful little 2/3wt reel that's come out of China... Probably the best $30 I ever spent, and Piker.... NO!! You can't have it B)