Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fdfretes

Materials - Do you keep track of cost ?

I kinda keep track of my purchases, all my transactions are in quickbooks, so with some research, I could probably come up with a number, but I don't think I would want to see it. I know my other half would kill me if she knew, so overall I'd say no.

Blane

I keep a close watch on all my fly tying material expenses. I've got the Wife convinced I am up to a total of $52.56 for the year. It helps when I show her the flip-flops (foam body material) and Halloween wigs (synthetic streamer hair). She's pretty easy going and doesn't ask to see more ... phew !!!

Are you going to share this with our wives? Dangerous thread you have here. I have decades of materials. Fortunately I hunted, trapped, traded and picked up roadkill for much of it. Just check to make sure you can legally pick up dead things along the road. I used to keep gloves, bags, Borax and Xacto knives in the car.

I have a hundred books and trunks of stuff. Who knows the cost. You can find a lot of bucktails and deer body hair. Ask a local taxidermist, volunteer to give them flies.

I don't keep track of it. Like others I'd be scared to know a grand total. That said, don't hide if from my wife and we stay well within our budget. If it was a business I'd worry about it but since it's a hobby and I'm not worried about breaking the bank I just enjoy without excess :)

just remember guys when you die the wife is going to sell it for what you told her you paid for it

I will be dead so she can sell it for a penny.

No, Not only no but heck no I don't want to know. My wife and I support each others hobbies, which is very cool be cause some months we spend more on hers and other months more on mine. It's funny stuff when she announces she's going to Michaels or Joanns and we both get in the car. I point things out for and she points things out for me and forget about it when we go to thrift stores, we each get materials and items for pennies!

I don't keep track of cost on an individual item level, but in the aggregate. I have only bought perhaps a dozen things outright, by themselves, for myself. I buy fly tying material lots on ebay, harvest the stuff I want/need, and sell the left-overs, duplicates. I haven't finished running the numbers, but it's looking like my extensive collection of materials, vises, and tools cost me (-$150) - that's right, I actually MADE money collecting the stuff! (Actually, I think it is even a larger negative amount - I'm going to have to pay taxes on my increase.)

Well, I used to do that anyway. Now that I have all I could need for the next 10 lifetimes, I only buy something when I don't have a suitable substitute on hand.

However, I am analytic type and COULD actually track my costs. I choose not to because I'd rather use the time actually tying or fishing instead!

Jimboha!

I try to keep myself on a monthly budget, but overall, I have no idea how much I have spent on fly tying materials. Since I have been tying for almost 40 years, the collection has grown quite extensive, but the most I have spent on an individual material is about $35, and most materials cost a $1 or $2 for what amounts to a lifetime supply. I also find materials at craft stores and thrift stores.

The first thing I recognized and accepted when I started to tie flies, is the fact that...

We do NOT tie flies to save money!

Jimboha!

Found out the other day that my average monthly spend on materials is less than the cost of a round of golf at the local coarse. That made me feel much better about the cash.

Cheers,

C.

My thoughts exactly - when you consider what greens fees are these days, or what it costs to attend a big-time sporting event, fly tying is an inexpensive pursuit. Of course, if you're spending more on materials than you are on food, you might want to consider getting some professional help. :blink: