Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
P.G. Beckett

Bronze Hooks For Saltwater Flies?

For many years I tied saltwater flies strickly on hooks designed for saltwater. For about the past five years I have been using bronze hooks on many of the saltwater flies that I use personaly, with great results. To keep the hooks from corroding at a rapid pace after fishing with them, I put them in a solution called Pump Saver. It is a product that we, Professional painters put in our airless paint sprayers to ward off corrosion after using latex paints. This product comes consentrated and is very easy to use; just mix a few drops with fresh water in a plastic container. It is almost colorless and it will not stain or distort the color of fly tying materials. You can leave a bronze hook in it for a years and it will not corrode! Mix up a small bottle of this liquid and keep with you or on your boat and be sure to drop you fly in it shortly after use. To purchase this product; you will have to go to a major paint store that sells airless paint equipment (Sherwin Williams,Dulux for example) or get friendly with a painting contractor that uses the product; all it takes is a few drops in one container and it can be used over and over. It also makes a terrific rinse for any saltwater reel- Phil

Sweet tip! Seems my salt boxes as soon as you introduce a wet (used) fly into the said box, rust can really start to spread.

Have taken to using zerust capsules, and these seem to have solved my problem which i am really happy about.

http://www.flambeauhardware.com/rust_inhibit/additions.asp

Sweet tip! Seems my salt boxes as soon as you introduce a wet (used) fly into the said box, rust can really start to spread.

Have taken to using zerust capsules, and these seem to have solved my problem which i am really happy about.

Jam - I usually carry a small empty box in my bag, and when I change flies, the wet fly goes into the box. When I get home, I just give them a rinse and let them dry thoroughly before putting them back. Cuts the rust problem down to practically nothing.

Jam - I usually carry a small empty box in my bag, and when I change flies, the wet fly goes into the box. When I get home, I just give them a rinse and let them dry thoroughly before putting them back. Cuts the rust problem down to practically nothing.

I do something similar, only I throw my flies into the cooler so they get a quick rinse off right away. Then I wash them off in the sink when I get home and set them out to dry before putting them back in the box.