Fly Tying
catmanclark

hot headed

So i've been tying pike flies and various streamers and have noticed when i use super glue to form heads and placing eyes i have felt heat.. Anyone else ever notice with certain materials or light that the glue steams and gets hot to the touch? I'm posting on here since us warmwater tyers glue alot of eyes on, and i recently have noticed when pressing on stick-on eyes, it gets so hot to the touch.. Anyone have any insight or same experiences? I know theres alot of other glues and i still have a few, super glue is just cheaper..

I've noticed the smoke coming off the fly but it doesn't seem to leave any colour change or evidence of melting but its odd for sure.

Most glues, good ones anyway, "cure" by some type of catalytic action. All catalytic or enzyme reactions develop heat as a byproduct. When containing these actions, such as holding two eyes against each other through a layer of hair, the heat has no easy way to "escape" and will be felt with greater intensity.

mikechell is 99 44/100% correct. Many chemical reactions either produce, or require heat to go forward. The first is said to be exothermic; it gives off heat, and the other is said to be endothermic, requiring the input of heat. The 'curing' reaction of the CA glues is exothermic, i.e., they produce heat. As the curing of the CA glues is initiated by moisture(water), you may be seeing minute quantities of steam being give off.

Be careful if using gap filling Zap-a-Gap and Zip Kicker! Its great stuff it can glue your fingers together without you touching your fingers together and the reaction with Zip Kicker is so fast the heat will burn you. Yes that is the voice of experience!

Cheers,

C.

I stand 0.66% corrected, Perch ... I used to be able to say there were NO glues that are endothermic ... but I don't think that's true, now. UV sealants and glues require the energy of UV to cure. Before those, I don't know of any household glues that aren't exothermic.