Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
agn54

a couple of baitfish

It's been a while since I posted any pics so I decided to post a few of my recent ties. Now that I have a computer with image resizing function in my picture program I will try to post a little more often.

post-18514-0-99125600-1352179523_thumb.jpg

The craft fur baitfish is a little beaten up, it got gnawed up by a few trout last week

post-18514-0-85500100-1352179534_thumb.jpg

Great flies! And great to see you putting some up, i remember years ago your bendbacks were an inspiration to me, so thankyou! Kind of reminds me i may need to tie some more.

Two very nice baitfish patterns. We'd use the first anytime when pilchards are the forage and the colors of the second pattern are very close to the peacock clouser colors that I get asked to tie for shops the most...

Jam, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you found my flies useful. Are you guys up there starting to freeze over yet?

Capt. Bob, that first pattern does work well when the pilchards are around. Usually I'll do them with a bit of chartreuse and/or olive on the back

I've been experimenting with the craft fur recently . Do you have any problems with fouling with it? I like it because it comes nicely tapered out of the bag . I made some epoxy flies for albies this year and they didn't foul but the material can't really go anywhere. When I tie similar to these I usually get a good looking fly but it dosent fish very well / tangles too much. They do catch fish and I like tying them. Any tips on making them foul less? ( coming into the time when il be tying more. Still fishing trying to get as much in before it really gets cold.) still a few fish around.

I've been experimenting with the craft fur recently . Do you have any problems with fouling with it? I like it because it comes nicely tapered out of the bag . I made some epoxy flies for albies this year and they didn't foul but the material can't really go anywhere. When I tie similar to these I usually get a good looking fly but it dosent fish very well / tangles too much. They do catch fish and I like tying them. Any tips on making them foul less? ( coming into the time when il be tying more. Still fishing trying to get as much in before it really gets cold.) still a few fish around.

Thanks Mike

Spotburnintubenwormn, I have not had any problems with this fly fouling. I guess the way the tail is tied in helps prevent it. I tie a clump of craft fur on the top of the shank at the bend and then another one slightly shorter underneath the shank. For other flies where I just use a clump of fur on the top of the shank like craft fur shrimp, etc., I will do a few wraps around the clump but not the hook shank, like parachute post or the wraps you do under dumbell eyes to lock them in. It kicks the fur up nicely and pretty much eliminates fouling