Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Cotter Pins/Connectors

As I was saying during a recent hijacking of one of Ben's threads, I've been looking for ways to build a fly that will utilize some kind of connector and a single hook at the rear. I've tried tubes, and they work OK, but I really want a swinging hook and more natural action. I'm just curious as to what methods you guys have used. The target is heavy fish, and I really dislike tandem rigs, so I'm hoping we have a genius in our midst. Paul mentioned that he uses cotter pins on his pike flies, so maybe he'll chime in. My only reservation about the cotter pins is that the ones I've seen are flat on one side, and I'm wondering if that would damage the mono connection. They're certainly strong enough, especially when they're wrapped and cemented. The connectors in the picture are a sinker eye at the top, three cotter pins below, and a Do-It flutter jig mold insert at the bottom. Any input would be greatly appreciated. A smarter and/or less lazy tyer would probably have figured all this out himself, but we are what we are. :(

post-281-0-97125900-1352478246_thumb.jpg

I dont totally understand what your trying to accomplish since i usually only go for trout, but would you be able to use parts of a swivel for a nice quick clip and and the smooth round wont damage your mono..just a thought

Peter I use braided line in most of my connections but the ones I have used mono in has never been damaged by the flat side of the pin plus there is a bonus to using the pins you can add weight to the center of the fly just by using a larger cotter pin

here is the largest one I use it weighs about a quarter ounce post-10925-0-99983100-1352481992_thumb.jpg

I dont totally understand what your trying to accomplish since i usually only go for trout, but would you be able to use parts of a swivel for a nice quick clip and and the smooth round wont damage your mono..just a thought

Nick, you may be onto something. The head on a tube, followed by a swivel, (without the snap) followed by mono connection to a snell might be just what I have in mind. I knew I could count on you guys. :)

Thanks for the input Paul. I picked up a big bag of assorted pins in the bargain bin at Ace Hardware a while back - I thought they might come in handy for something or other. I never thought about using them for weight, but that's a great idea to keep in mind.

The cotter pis Ihave seen have very rough inside edges where a leader would connect. The roughness appears to come from the bending of the metal as it only exists at the "eye" of the cotter pin. I'd never use them for this reason. There are beter commercial solutions including the new colored shanks.

Rocco

It looks to me as if you may be on the verge of re inventing the wheel. Take a look at Waddington Shanks. They have been used this side of the pond for salmon flies for many years, usually with a treble hook but no reason you couldn't use a single. If you want more movement the split ring idea will work. If you can get hold of some stiff wire then it is very easy to make a jig to make your own Waddington shanks. You just need a piece of wood and 6 nails (2 large 4 smaller) viewed from above the layout would look like this o : : o Hammer the nails in so that they stand about 1/2" (12.7mm) proud. Bend the wire round the large nails and between the small ones. Cut off the ends.

Definitions must have changed since I did my apprenticeship, those are split pins, cotter pins are, or where, very different. Cylindrical with a tapering flat and a threaded end, not bifurcated. Often used to attach a leaver to a round shaft with a small flat on it. It doesn't surprise me, in those days a funnel was a thing smoke came out of on top of a ship, the thing you used to get liquid into a container was a tundish.

"Bring forth Enoch"

Cheers,

C.