Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteBuffalo58

Makin' Dubbin'

After reading a few recent threads on dubbing and checking out a couple of YouTube vids, I decided to give it a try. All of these start with a base of fine wool yarn. Some are blended with 2 or more colors. Then I added various other accents, fur, flash, etc. The film cannisters came with a large lot of materials I bought awhile back, and I punched a 1/4" hole in the lids to dispense it through. It was alot of fun!

I've got several packages of Mohair yarn in various colors. Very fine, very soft. Anyone ever use Mohair for dubbing?

Here's a pic of what i've done so far,

Rob

post-45659-0-77797400-1352665200_thumb.jpg

Mohair makes a good dubbing and blends well with other materials, make a nice buggy appearance. There's the Mohair leech pattern which is a killer panfish fly I use in the summer months. I think you'll find in time that there isn't much you can't use for some sort of dubbing materials.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's a pattern i'll look into. The only thing I found, that didn't seem to blend well, was chopped up biot. They were just too "chunky" and didn't seem to want to hold into the dubbing. Other then that, all the other materials I tried, seemed to do real well.

Rob

Rob if you have any problems finding the leech pattern let me know gotta couple patterns on PDF if interested.

Mike