Fly Tying

An alternative to the smaller altoids box is the empty VHS tape box. I have several clear ones that make great boxes for holding streamer patterns. .Clear plastic boxes make viewing easier.

If you are looking for craft foam and have a hobby lobby they carry a great seletion of foam! My store has 2mm,3mm,and 5mm in a range of colors. The 5mm was $1.27 for a a large sheet. I hope this helps!

Taking the idea "up a notch"....

Use tape backed foam with same drill holes and slots on the outside lid cover as a fly drying/holding area. Then, put velcro on the bottom side to hang it on your vest or "ratty old" -- wife's words-- fishing jacket.

Rocco

Actually I have kinda 4-5 of these. Simply love the size and ergonomics (if we can call so) of the Altoids' box.

But instead of craft foam I use a piece of 5mm cork sheet (that ones for wall covering).

It adds some old-style look and can take a lot of pinching from the flies.

Íngua

I wonder if you could somehow put a sheet of magnetic material in there as well. Lately I've been looking into magnetic fly boxes to hold midges so that's kind of on my mind.

I wonder if you could somehow put a sheet of magnetic material in there as well. Lately I've been looking into magnetic fly boxes to hold midges so that's kind of on my mind.

I don't see why you couldn't just trim and glue a piece of refrigerator magnet to fit. I have a couple of pieces on my tying bench for sticking hooks and flies on as I'm working and it seems like most places want you to have a fridge sticker for their business. Think the ones I cut up were for Nurse Hotline and it was big enough to fill an Altoid box.

As for the foam, I just use 5mm pushed in tight enough to keep slits tight and glue in place. Of all the hook holding systems in boxes I have the ones I prefer by far are just the simple slits. Easy to push in, easy to tilt up and lift out without snagging hook, and can be infinitely adjusted for size of flies. Once I have foam into box I just use my sharp box cutter with the sliding blade to make slits at distance I choose and that's it. No holes, no templates, just perfect fit for what I want them for.

I get sheet magnetic advertisements on most of my phone books. I sometimes get 6 different books a year, and they all have at least one of the sheets. Easy to cut to fit an Altoids tin, or glue on your bench.