Fly Tying
MyFly

prismacolor marker

Hi.

I have been searching in internet about prismacolor marker and I want to know what you are thinking about:

this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prismacolor-Brush-Tip-Marker-Set-of-8-Colours-/261100502577?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item3ccacd7e31

and this:

http://www.taimen.com/sl/si/product/prismacolor-art-marker_2563/90114 ?

Which marker is better? which marker do you use (or maybe other firm)? where did you buy it? why is the price so different on e-bay and in fly- fishing shop? what is the quality of theese markers? is it the same or is it in fly- fishing shop better quality than on e-bay?

Thanks and have a nice day :-)

I use both Prismacolor and Spectrum Noir (available at Joanne fabric and on line) they come in color packs, i.e. greens, browns, and yellows...very similar in quality to prismacolor for 1/2 the price. check them out.

Spectrum Noir

I’ve bought a few sets of Prismacolor’s from Blick and liked them a lot with one draw back, there longevity is well you need to use them it’s a little short.

I like Sharpies, especially the price and longevity of the product...just wish there were more color choices there....

I like Sharpies, especially the price and longevity of the product...just wish there were more color choices there....

i'm not sure where you buy sharpies but the do come in awide range of colors. and using a color wheel the choice could be endless

https://www.google.com/search?q=sharpie+markers&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-32jUO-NAeSB0QG2oICoBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1301&bih=656

I’ve bought a few sets of Prismacolor’s from Blick and liked them a lot with one draw back, there longevity is well you need to use them it’s a little short.

There is a cure for that!

The volatile carrier for those markers is the paint thinner toluene, also called toluol . Buy a pint and use it to replace the evaporated material. I use a 1cc insulin syringe and a 25 or 26 gauge needle. Inject it between the fiber nib and the plastic casing. It also works on Sharpies.

Toluene/Toluol is also the thinner you can use for an Aquaseal and the the other urethane based sealants like Goop. Put some Goop in a small glass head cement jar, add the toluene and you have Dave's Flexement to keep feather wings on hopper patterns from shredding.

There is a cure for that!

The volatile carrier for those markers is the paint thinner toluene, also called toluol . Buy a pint and use it to replace the evaporated material. I use a 1cc insulin syringe and a 25 or 26 gauge needle. Inject it between the fiber nib and the plastic casing. It also works on Sharpies.

Toluene/Toluol is also the thinner you can use for an Aquaseal and the the other urethane based sealants like Goop. Put some Goop in a small glass head cement jar, add the toluene and you have Dave's Flexement to keep feather wings on hopper patterns from shredding.

Good tip SilverCreek!