Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Saddle hackle questions

I wanted to pick up some grizzly saddle feathers for buggers and other patterns , but is it worth it now or should i look for a half saddle. I looked at the 100 packs but they only focus on a few sizes. I tie all over the range but i am not sure what to buy. I have a full olive grizzly patch but i can only tie so many Olive flies. I had looked on ebay but its tough to tell from the pics if they are good or not.

I picked up a grizzly varriant at a local shop last weekend on sale 25% off. It was a whitings bronze full saddle for 42.00! I didnt need it but at that price i couldnt not get it. I dont know if the mail order or not but you can check its called Unkle Joes Woodshed in Altoona PA, they have a website so look into it. Saddle problems are only going to focus on sizes like 12-16, necks cover a wide range of sizes but dont have the long length. Good luck!

Evan

I use hackle with a good deal of web for my buggers. I like hen feathers the best; if they're not long enough for the fly, I'll use 2.

IMG_9123.jpg

Some rooster saddles work okay although they tend to have stiffer barbs. Those 100 Packs are dry fly quality hackle.

Regards,

Scott

Thank you, I am learning more coming back into fw tying. I have focused on salt for the last 10-12 years. I appreciate all the great advice here.

I agree with SBPatt, for wet flies just get something that you like the look of, buy yourself a nice saddle when you want to tie a ton of dries.

strung hackle works well for buggers or buy the bugger packs

Strung%20Grizzly%20Varient%20Saddle%20Hackle.jpg

M1245.jpg

webby hackles move better than stiff hackles

What you need are saddle hackles from Chinese or Indian roosters. Those can be hard to find (no demand). The bundles of strung saddles are OK, but I find that less than 1/2 of the hackles are actually usable.

The Whiting bugger pack is probably your best bet