Fly Tying
WhiteBuffalo58

Beginner Patterns for Panfish?

Well, I did a search through the database and the SBS's and really didn't find a definitive answer, so i'll ask.

I'll be using #8-#12 hooks,(GCO 5212) the target species are Bream, Crappie, White and Smallmouth Bass. I love top water fishing, so dry flies are my first choice, but realize I need a bit of everything for varying conditions. I'll be fishing primarily in still to slow moving waters. I've only been tying for a couple of months now, so beginner to intermediate flys would be best.

With these criteria in mind, what patterns would you folks suggest? A pic, a link to a pic or SBS/video would be very helpful.

Thanks for your time and any input,

Rob

One of the places I'd check out is the Warmwater Fly tyer web site http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/ they have some excellent patterns for bream, panfish and bass and most are fairly simple to tie. They do provide great SBS for the patterns too. I've used several patterns from that site with great success.

Mike

A pic, a link to a pic or SBS/video would be very helpful.

Thanks for your time and any input,

Rob

I live in Florida, Rob, so all I do is sunfish and bass (large mouth). For ease of tying, use and material cost ... some foam body poppers for top water.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube for this type of fly, and I did a photo SBS on this site.

For subsurface lures, you can go with clousers or scuds. I use a version of a fly I saw on a YouTube video called a carp fly. I've caught plenty of sunfish with this pattern on a #8 long shank hook.

All of the above suggestions are great. I use the spider in yellow because I can see it. I also use small poppers with 1/4"dia foam or cork with nothing but some hackle on the rear of the hook. A small McGinty Bee with only the body and some hackle is simple and the fish seem to the like the yellow and black when fishing wet. The also like Blind Squirrels but they are a little more involved to tie but they will catch anything. Clousers with beadchain eyes will work and fairly simple to tie. Tie small for BG and bigger for bass. I could go on and on. I love BG fishing and is by far my favorite sweetwater fish. Great to eat though I seldom do anymore and they will keep a light rod bent all day usually.

The shortest and simplest answer to your question is that anything tied for trout will work on panfish, as the major insect groups that are the basis for "trout" flies also inhabit warm waters of the south, and the panfish feed on them just like trout do. The appellation "Trout Fly(ies)" is really a misnomer, as these same flies will catch all kinds of fish in addition to trout.

Keep in mind that the fish do not read our books! So, they have no idea what our books say about what they should, or should not feed on.

Cheers!

I've had great luck using clouser minnows in lakes, slow rivers, and backwaters for smallies. As for panfish, I totally agree Perchjerker. The best topwater luck I've had is with any small popper, beetles, or foam hoppers. A simple soft hackle black works great if they're not coming to the surface.

Thanks Guys!

Sounds like foam bodies, poppers and clousers are high on everyones list. As well as many of the classic trout and carp patterns. Those give me a good place to get started.

Flytire, I appreciate the SBS! That ones definetly going on the list!

Thanks again,

Rob

Flytire, I appreciate the SBS! That ones definetly going on the list!

Right on fly tire when it comes to pansih that is abut the only fy I use...simple to tie, floats forever.

it can be tied with any color foam

SHEETS.jpg

DSC00583.jpg

Glitter%20EVA.jpg

Clown Spider

clownspider.jpg

Darth Spider

darthspider.jpg

Purple Haze Spider

psychodelicspider.jpg

Woodsy Spider

woodyspider.jpg

As Perchjerker said, trout flies are great. For a few generic easy to tie sinking flies, you can't beat a Wooly Buggar, Hare's Nymph, Zug Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph. For dry flies, any would work but I'd go with a foam bug, a foam spider is hard for bream to resist and Norm's spider is a great example and easy to tie. For Crappie, you will rarely get them on top; the best thing for them is a small minnow pattern such as a Clouser or a Wooly Buggar in white or olive or other bright color.

Now, my two favorite go-to flies are ones I created myself, a green w/yellow faced foam popper and the Squirrely. After a while of tying and fishing you will create something that works for your water and came from your mind and vise and will become your favorites.

Kirk

Simple foam head bug that is my favorite topwater.

PopperSwapII-7641-1.jpg

My Squirrely that I have been tying and catching bream, bass and catfish on since the mid 1980's.

DSC_4008-2.jpg

The following two pictures show a couple flies I came up with that work well on all of the fish you mentioned, they basically represent small minnows, which almost all fish eat. Granted, I haven't seen any minnows in these colors but the fish like them. You can substitute a chenille or some type of flash body on the Charlie Weave. That is basically a Crazy Charlie.

KirksCharlieWeavegroup-2.jpg

JeromesSac_a_Dawgs-1.jpg

Some great advise given here.

Clousers with beadchain eyes will work and fairly simple to tie.

The only thing I'll add is about small Clousers. I tie some down to size 8 for Crappies & Bluegills. The most common hair used on Clousers is bucktail, and it's a good material, but when you go small, it's not always the best choice. I prefer bucktail to be as fine textured as I can get for any size Clouser, but fine bucktail hair is not always the most available, so I'll use other materials too.

I'm not suggesting you need to go out & buy all of these, but here are some that work very well for the smaller size Clousers as alternative to bucktail. However, as you progress with your tying, many of these can be used for a variety of patterns, especially bass patterns, so when you find them at a good price it doesn't hurt to have a few options.

Ostrich herl ( one of my favorites in black, makes a super leech!)

Fox tails & fox fur (Red, Kit & Arctic Fox, plus the many farm raised variations in natural & dyed colors. Gray Fox can be used too, but the guard hair is often coarser.)

Coyote tails & fur (natural & dyed)

Icelandic Sheep

Tibetan Lamb

Australian Opossum tails (natural dark brown to black)

Badger fur (works well as a substitute for calftail too after removing the guard hairs, plus is straighter.)

I didn't include Squirrel tails, although it's also a fine textured hair and because Kirk mentioned it above for his Squirrely pattern. Squirrel is sometimes difficult to tie firmly because it doesn't compress much, so is not always easy for tiers with less experience to tie with. Still a good material once you master it! :)