Fly Tying
rec3334

Stocking up for Bali

Hello Everyone,

I have been on this site almost everyday since I found it about a year ago (I think), and I can't get enough. Anyways, I was hoping all you fine people could help me out. I am heading to Bali for about 20 days in December. I am going to visit my wife's father who lives there. He is an avid fly fisherman and is looking to actually set up a guide service there. Unfortunately, he sold almost all his gear when he moved there a couple years ago, and now he is settled and looking to restock. He has asked my wife and I to bring some stuff for him, mentioning tippet and flies. I am sure he is going to need a bit more than that, so I ask you, my fellow tyers, what should I bring this man, what would you bring?

He is primarily going to be fishing in the flats, and apparently there is a spot with untouched bonefish on an island somewhere (he is very excited about this one). I am not sure is if he is going to to be fishing the open blue but I would like to be prepared for this as well. I have attached some pictures of my flies that I have made so far, but I will likely need to buy some as well. These flies are on 2's and 6's, and I know I need to get bigger hooks for open water.

Thanks in advance,

Rob C.

Also, I am always trying to learn new and better tricks for tying, any and all critiques are welcome.

Some Clousers I put together; bucktail, synthetics (crinckle fiber(?), congo hair), or both (size 2 & 6)

post-33794-0-91796800-1353130154_thumb.jpeg

post-33794-0-03876800-1353130225_thumb.jpeg

post-33794-0-32424800-1353130295_thumb.jpeg

Here i have some charlies, gotchas, possibly hybrid together. plus a little crab (all size 6).

post-33794-0-28889600-1353130409_thumb.jpeg

I am particularly proud of these two.

post-33794-0-07583000-1353130440_thumb.jpeg

And finally, some shrimp/crayfish patterns (fox hair, congo hair, furry foam, etc.)

post-33794-0-93706800-1353130471_thumb.jpeg

post-33794-0-49483200-1353130509_thumb.jpeg

post-33794-0-65410800-1353131156_thumb.jpg

Great flies! Please keep us updated on your trip to Bali, i have never been there but am originally from pretty close. There is flyfishing!? Usually my brothers just come back hungover and sunburnt.

For gear, probably a saltwater 8wt with a wf line and a 9 foot leader of some sort, depending on preference. For flies a clouser is pretty spot on. Perhaps some crazy charlies and all the flies you have tied here.

Maybe some decent footwear, it is rather black sand. Tho the island you speak of where is that?

I am sure all of the flies you have tied will catch fish. The only input I would provide you with is personally I like my Clousers to be a little less dense, also have been tying a single wrap clousr with no body piece. I will include some pictures for you. Also I would get a synthetic hair of some sort and tie some crabpatterns with a little more bulk than the ones with just hackle. Will include some pictures of that also, I would go with sand or olive. If you look at my past post you can see some crabs I have tied with EP and Congo Hair.

Easy crab tie with a streamer brush

P1030141.jpg

Another easy tie, shrimp, I would for sure have in my pocket on the flats

P1030116.jpg

More difficult tie, but would emulate most crab and shrimp in the area, closely mirrors a mantis shrimp

Also the colors could easily be switched around for the area

P1020867.jpg

Generic crab pattern with a larger body I was referring too, made with EP Fiber

IMG_2317.jpg

Also find you a bait fish pattern of some sort, this is strictly example. Find what baitfish they have buy the colors and have some in your box

We have pinfish in Charleston so I tie those on a size 1/0 Gamakatsu

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Also we have finger mullet in which I tie a longer less wide pattern.

Never forget something that stayed on the top

Mullet

P1020410.jpg

Shrimp

IMG_1700.jpg

And then the less dense clousers I was referring too, just emulates a bait fish, a friend I fish with has called them the Clou, due to body

DSCF4027_zps984fe57d.jpg

DSCF4015_zps393f8443.jpg

Probably to much information, but figured to much was better than not enough

Good luck Simon O

FlyFishin'Jam, I can only assume that you mean the island with bonefish, I personally do not know the location of the island but apparently A fly fisherman named Trapper Rudd found the island and my father in law contacted him after seeing a video on YouTube, http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bY3y2vRypB0. I am not sure if this link will work but search Trapper Rudd Tsunami Bonefish, should be able to find this.

Simon, those are great flies and I like the idea of sparse clousers, both for fishing and on my wallet :). I will definitely tie some of those, I do need to go shopping for more congo hair. I currently only have white and chartreuse. I love those shrimp you posted, I am becoming a big fan of tying them. What did you use for weight on the last one? If any.

Hey Rob C.,

I just sent out some flies to a friend going there in Dec. as well. From what I could gather info-wise, bigeye trevally are a popular in-shore target. Black flies do well for them ..... top and sunk. Night time is good for them also.

Drop me an email, maybe you guys could hook up.

murph8351atgmail.com

Good luck on the trip!

@Rec, the weights on all of those are the same 2 different colors. They are Spirit River Dazl Eyes 5/32

Here they are (I have never used that website before)

http://www.bearsden.com/product10274.html

But that is them, they are a little cheaper here in Charleston and when I buy them I buy them 3 packs at a time and they come 25 per pk

If you need any help just gimme a yell

Simon O

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading and tying with a feverish pace for the upcoming trip. I also received another email from my father in law stating that he will likely be focusing on Bones, Permit and the toothy critters (barracuda, etc...). Does anyone have a good pattern for the 'cudas that I could whip up? I am thinking about just tying baitfish types with synthetics for this. Also, while perusing the interweb, I came across a site that mentioned that permit can smell the cement on the head of the fly :blink: , has anyone heard of this/had this be an issue? I am using a basic water based cement and Loons UV knot sense.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi rob

I'm in bali at the moment, I have all my gear with me is there any chance you could put me intouch with your father in law a I would love to hook up with him.

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

I dont feel 100% about giving out his email, but I emailed my father in law regarding your situation. Unfortunately, he is shoddy at best when it comes to email responsiveness. How long are you there for? If I hear anything back from him I will get in touch with you.

Rob

Hi rob,

That's more than I could ask for thanks ever so much. I'm here till next Thursday. But fly on Thursday!

My bali phone is 0812 37 653979. If he wants to call

Really thanks again

Ed