Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dwclapp

Silk-anyone tried kimono silk thread?

Wanting some silk to use for some soft hackle flies. I know the standard is Pearsalls, but the little spools are relatively costly for the amount of silk. While searching threads I came across Superior Kimono Silk Thread. It is a #100 thread (equates to about a 90 denier) on 220 yard spools for about $6 per spool. Additionally, there are about 80 colors available.

What do y'all think? Is it worth giving a try or should I just stick with the Pearsalls?

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Darin

Unfortunately, there are more 'systems' for sizing threads than the number of pairs of shoes owned by Imelda Marcos! And none of them make much sense! There is a direct correlation between Denier and Tex. But I have nothing providing a correlation between the designations of 50 and 100 for silk, which seems to have come into vogue recently.

If it is of any help, 90 Denier falls in between Danville 6/0 (70d) and 3/0 (116d), or between Uni 8/0 (72d)and their 6/0 (135d).

Need to check into this to add to my list of such 'trivia' on threads. Thanks for the hint!

You might look into the YLI brand silk threads as they offer both a 50 and a 100 wt. thread, and in a wide range of colors. These threads are highly regarded by the bamboo rod makers for wrapping their rods. (Just guessing; but, I suspect that the 50 is half the diameter of the 100.)

Good luck!

(Just guessing; but, I suspect that the 50 is half the diameter of the 100.)

Good idea, but actually just the opposite. 50 is double the diameter. It is the same as the old size "A" thread. Really thick stuff actually.