Fly Tying
BadKarma

ARE Vises

Has anyone tried these vises? I was looking at the price and wondering if they are another low price-low quality vise.

I guess I'm looking for a rotory and the Griffins are leading the pack so far.

bait.gif

Never mind. I looked closer and its not what I'm after.

I think its gonna be a Griffin. I want a off set rotory.

Thanks for the quick reply daryn.

BadKarma, I purchased a Steverlynck "Fierra del Fuego" vise in mid December from a gentleman on eBay. It was written about in Fly FIsh America's 9/2004 edition and given a great rating in the Reports from the Field column. That review and other info is available on the eBay auction (he still has another for sale): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

The vise selss for $94.99 and is a great value in a true rotary vise. I've tied about 100 flies on it already and really getting in to using the rotary function. The quality of this vise is very good and it is very attractive. It does have a clamp type jaw rather than a cam action. But frankly, it holds the hook (#20 to 3/0 and I've done 20 to 1 sizes myself) very well and is easy to adjust. You can go to their web site at www.tdfvise.com. I am planning on doing a more in-depth review in a few weeks. The only modification I made on mine was to put a small (1/2") section of latex tubing on the bobbin cradel so I can swing it out of the way quickly without tightening a thumbscrew.

cheers,

Michael

Not trying to start another vice war but be sure to look at Danvise. A really high quality rotary vise at a very low price. Most places sell them for about $79. I've had one for about 3 years now and I love it. headbang.gif

Dad Burn IT!!!!

I thought I had this all thought out, I come here and ask a simple question and all my plans go up in smoke!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys for the information. I did some more research and have given up on the Griffin Odyssey (it got a not so nice review at Fly Fisherman mag).

However the DanVise got a glowing review.

mmarkey, they mentioned in the review that the DanVise is a bit noisey when rotating, is yours?

And do you find that working to the back side of the fly is a bit crowded?

It appears from your picture that you and I are kinda big guys, do you have problems with your paws like I do?

The DanVice may be the one.

Hi Bad,

I just got a shipment of ARE vises yesterday and spent the rest of the day testing it out. It seems to hold a hook well and function about as good it's predisessor <SP>? the Universal vise that stopped production in the 70s (I think). It seems to be better made than my old Universal but only time will tell if it really is. I sell the Danvise and it's a good value for the price but it is close to twice as expensive as the ARE. I'm taking the ARE to a couple of trade shows to see if it is an item I want to add to my inventory. All of the Griffin tools/vises are good quality. Good luck in your search for a vise. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hey I have that Universal Rotary---bought it when I was 15 yrs old---still sits on my bench but I haven't used it in 55 years. If you want rotary look at Thompson Cobra (interesting) and I would recommend the old stanby Renzetti. That said I do not personally use a rotary as I am not comfortable with the hand position and I detest the screw and "0" ring technology used to hold a hook---the newer models with the cam clamping are much better IMHO. wink.gif

i bought my renzetti traveler for 80 bucks.... can't complain... standard jaw and i can buy a cam head if i felt like it and have a replacement for the price of just the cam traveler retail. i haven't had any real complaints about the standard jaw so i am content. i have also tied on a LOT of HMH vises, and can say they are built like tanks, but have a decent price tag and if you want an offset head, they aren't what you're looking for.

steve

HMH Silhouette is a super quality vise. It retails for about 89.00, but you'll have it for life. I used a griffin Odysyso a while, but after going to an HMH, I am much happier.