Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

Something nice happened :D

At my church today someone comes up to me and wants to talk. So we started talking about fly fishing and fly tying. Turns out he's the founder of a local TU chapter. By the end of the conversation he gave me a norvise and some other materials. I was blown away. Hope to learn to use the norvise soon. Just wanted to share with someone. Anyone who has a norvise tips would be nice on how to use.

Watch the videos @ nor-vise.com if you haven't already. There are a few Nor-visers that posted on youtube as well. You might pick up a thing or two from viewing those, too.

An automatic bobbin will make the whole experience more satisfying, so consider picking one up if funds allow.

Other than that, just keep tying on it, and use the rotary function whenever it's applicable. It should soon become (somewhat) intuitive.

And congratulations on a fine score. Very generous on the giver's part.

That is fantastic! I have been given large quantities of tying material basic tools, and rods, reels and line myself. There must be something about fly fisherman :) .

Recently however a non fishing friend gave me an Orvis rod and reel combo that retailed around $900. I'm not sure I'll ever top that.

I have begun to notice the cheap vise I purchased is wearing out. But honestly I have had it for a year or so and have used the crap out of it. SO I have been eyeing the nor-vise for quite a while now. I'd love to hear your thought after using it a while. I have heard they are great, but they have their place. SO they shine in some aspects and not so much in others.

None the less, I want to put one through it's paces.

T~