Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BullRunBear

Xuron vise experiences?

My wife and I are going to start fly tying (helps to be retired). I tied a little bit briefly many decades ago but didn't have the time to stay with it. We are pretty much beginning from scratch. After some research, I got an HMH Spartan vise. I'm impressed by its build quality and versatility. My wife doesn't care for the cam type jaws or the rotary capability, so I just ordered a Xuron vise for her. It should arrive next week. She saw a picture and thought it looked like it would suit her tying needs. It is also more affordable than many other vises we looked at and will last a long time. We will probably be fishing for bass, panfish and other warm water fish so we won't need huge salt water flies.

There are plenty of videos on how to use the HMH vises but very little about the Xuron. If anyone has some experience or suggestions about the Xuron vise, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

You might consider an original Thompson A vise. Good used ones are available on ebay and they have been used to tie millions of flies for many years.

That's the vise. I must have used the wrong term. If the Xuron is a cam type, I should have said the HMH Spartan is a collet style? (Hope that is correct.) My wife didn't like the fiddly/minor adjustments needed for different size hooks with the Spartan, preferring a simpler closing method. From reading, it seemed the Xuron, and other types (Regal?) were more straightforward. Thanks for the clarification.

Jeff

Bugsy,

I did order through St Simons. As far as I know, they are the only source for new ones. Checking Ebay, Craigslist, etc., didn't show even one used.

Jeff

What is now known as the Xuron vise, was the Thomas vise before that, and a nameless vise before that when it was used, I believe, by Harry Darbee. There is an early version of the vise in the Roscoe museum.

I bought my copy off Eric Leiser's The Rivergate flyshop during the late seventies.

It is a very clean and functional vise - much underrated.

Cheers,

Hans W

I have an older Xuron. While it's not my favorite vise to tie on, it's certainly functional and well made. It's not a cam type vise. The lever is simply attached to a screw that squeezes the jaws closed. After using it she may decide she would prefer a vise that allows the jaws to rotate and is easier to adjust the angle and height, or maybe not.

Bugsy,

I did order through St Simons. As far as I know, they are the only source for new ones. Checking Ebay, Craigslist, etc., didn't show even one used.

Jeff

Thanks.

The Xuron is one of two vises I've been curious about for 30yrs but have never seen in person (the other being the Price). Though I have no immediate need for one, something about its simplicity is alluring.

Other than one user's complaint about grooving the jaws, the comments I've heard/read have been decidedly more praise than gripe.

I have an older Xuron. While it's not my favorite vise to tie on, it's certainly functional and well made. It's not a cam type vise. The lever is simply attached to a screw that squeezes the jaws closed. After using it she may decide she would prefer a vise that allows the jaws to rotate and is easier to adjust the angle and height, or maybe not.

The present Xuron vise allows the jaws to rotate 360 degrees - but as a direct consequence of the vise design this is of pretty limited (read: zero) use.

If you look very closely at the image earlier in the thread you can just make out the friction adjustment knot on the lower edge of the jaws, near the stem.

Cheers,

Hans W

Xuron is being made again?? Ok... this might just get me to buy a new vise.

Ahh, crap... so its not the same as the original? Been looking for one for some time :(

Xuron is being made again?? Ok... this might just get me to buy a new vise.

Ahh, crap... so its not the same as the original? Been looking for one for some time :(

The only change is that the recessed hex screw which attached head to stem is now a thumb screw.

Cheers,

Hans W

been using a early one (70's) since i bought it new..only vice i can't wear out..gone through 4 other brand vices over the years..