Fly Tying
T_Bone

Vise selection

+1 on the peak. I have a nor vise also and it gets more use these days but you can come in well under 300 with a Peak, D-arm, and another set of jaws if you're inclined to tie x-small or x-large.

Well I certainly hope I didn't start WW III here, but I have enjoyed reading over the responses. I wish I had the option to try all of these vises. I can certainly see what many of you have said that they are personal and the preference is personal.

I have been leaning very heavily towards the Griffin Mongoose with cam jaw. For $225 it comes with the pedestal and a couple other odds and ends I have found myself wanting.

I have recently discovered however that a friend of mine is a dealer for Norm Norlander and is now trying very hard to make e a deal on the Nor Vise, which I may eventually cave in to. But then again I may just get an opportunity to try it and see what I actually think.

T~

But with the price of the Danvise what it is, I am considering postponing a major vise purchase and getting one of them to carry me through in the meantime.

Honestly, most of the "name brand" vises, like Griffin, HMH, Peak, Regal, etc, seem to have no shortage of people singing their praises, and I very, very rarely see anyone say a bad word of any of them. I dont think you can go wrong if you avoid knockoffs, but I havent tied on every vise on the market by far.

Also... that Jvice is gorgeous. I mean, like work of art, gorgeous!

Well come to find out an acquaintance of mine is a Nor Vise dealer, so I may get to try one out sometime soon. However the vise I tie on now is a knock of of the Renzetti traveler, and I tried a a genuine Renzetti today, and I think my mind is solidly made up at this point.

I have to tell you I cannot wait to try a Nor Vise, but the Renzetti was seriously nice and had a seriously reasonable price tag. I can get the vise and a new pair of Simm's boots for less than I was thinking about dropping on the Nor Vise with all of its extras.

T~

Just my 2 cents.

Fly vise is a tool for us tiers and here in Finland we have a saying "poor man shouldn't buy cheap tools". Usually we are in search for premium tools for bargain prices and end up buying twice - first the bargain then the premium.. Been there done that.

Save a little longer and get the best vise your budged will allow, its a tool for a lifetime.

I have been staying away from this thread for a reason. I have a vise and its GREAT. Its a peak that I upgraded too about 6 months ago. But now I HAD to open this topic to see what it was about and I see the "JVISE". Piker and Petegray why did you do this to me HAHA :lol: I want one. It looks awesome. The accessories look REALLY awesome. Must be strongggg :blink:

It certainly feels well made. I read lots of reviews and some call it over engineered. Thats fine. Range Rover or mini?? Range Rover thanks.

I knew I was going to buy a vice that I hope will be vice for life and this ticks that box. In $ it was half the price of a Renzetti I compared it to, even if I brought direct from the states and I like the idea its not mass produced.

I would have loved to buy British and love the way the state side guys try to support their own economy but the only British thing was either cheap or double the price for British design but built in some child labour factory. (ok that bit might be a fib)

I looked at the peak but believe it or not, my Jvice was only $50 more including the pro jaw and blue colour. No contest for me.

Pete i didnt see a price on jays website for the tilt head pivot modification. How much more was that ? Makes that vise even more appealing. May have to start saving !!

Pete i didnt see a price on jays website for the tilt head pivot modification. How much more was that ? Makes that vise even more appealing. May have to start saving !!

You will have to send off an email to Jay...

If you mention the #510 KnuckleHead, he will be dialed in...

Jay is a busy guy, out of town now and again but a reply will soon follow...

Tell him what you have in mind and he will take it from there...

I have absolutely NO regrets, what so ever... it doesn't get any better !!!

Cheeerz

Pete

IMG_1286.jpg

Resistance is PHUTILE...!!!

That hot looking vise but I know better to collect another one and get my buttin to much trouble.